Snake ID

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Snake_Whisperer

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Picked this little guy up today, struggling to work out what it is. At first glance (when he took off at full tilt and I only had time to tail and bag him) I thought D. psammophis but on release, definitely not. An example of P. textilis? Head shape looks wrong though. Sorry about the carp photo, HD camera phone my butt!

Photo016.jpg

Very hard to tell from your amazing photography Aaron ;) I would say EB but can't be 100% ....definatly isn't a Yellow-Face though

Very hard to tell from your amazing photography Aaron ;) I would say EB but can't be 100% ....definatly isn't a Yellow-Face though

agree with everything said in this post. what phone do you have out of curiosity that takes such amazing photographs?

well NOW IT looks more like an EB in that pic with a light brown head then the BRIGHT YELLOW small crappy blurry pic ya sent me on the phone now ;) my phone is crap for taking and recieving pics the colouration is rubbish too ...nice job too :)

Lol, you'd think so, but I was to busy concentrating on keeping an eye on the bitey end! Had quite a few onlookers as well so I literally tailed him straight into the bag. Was gonna have a better look on release but it was hot and he took off like a bullet as soon as I tipped him out!

One way to find out, is to get bitten and wait til you start vomiting-difficult breathing etc,once you get taken to hospital and they do a venom ID..that should give you more of a ID on the snake...

Picked this little guy up today, struggling to work out what it is. At first glance (when he took off at full tilt and I only had time to tail and bag him) I thought D. psammophis but on release, definitely not. An example of P. textilis? Head shape looks wrong though. Sorry about the carp photo, HD camera phone my butt!

View attachment 169369
Aaron head shape is perfect for a Pseudonaja textilis;)
look at your thumb side onwards see the similarity...head isnt very distinct from body ..(I ask people when they are claiming on phone that its a taipan ,they say cause it has a white creamish head so it must be a Taipan ...but when I ask to do the thumb thing ,they say OH yeah it looks more like that and can almost bet it turns out to be an eastern brown )

Demansia psammophis has more of a distinct head from neck ..

One way to find out, is to get bitten and wait til you start vomiting-difficult breathing etc,once you get taken to hospital and they do a venom ID..that should give you more of a ID on the snake...

I'll leave that style of ID to you mate, I'm not interested in trying it out! ;) Let me know how ya go!

Was fairly certain on EB but that yellow nape threw me. Pity about the photos, the others were worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back