Snake in the Grass Ends Day at Races

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

moosenoose

Legendary
Reaction score
Snake in the grass ends day at races

* Jared Lynch
* October 20, 2008

MEGAN McDonough had mixed luck at Hamilton races on the weekend. She was bitten by a snake — and then won fashions on the field.

Ms McDonough, 26, from Hawkesdale, north of Warrnambool, temporarily lost the use of one leg and was in intensive care.

The tiger snake had bitten her while she was parading for the event about 2.45pm on Saturday. Racegoers rushed to the aid of the mother of one.

One man ripped off his shirt for a bandage, and others used their ties to apply pressure to the wound.

Ms McDonough was in Hamilton Base Hospital's intensive care unit yesterday in a serious but stable condition.

Her mother, Julie McCullough, of Cairns, said it had been a terrifying ordeal.

"When I got the call on Saturday afternoon, I imagined the absolute worse," she said. "You wouldn't wish it on anyone. You hear of people having cerebral hemorrhages from tiger snake bites even after they have had the anti-venom. It's terrible."

Ms McDonough's legs were paralysed after the incident but yesterday she regained feeling in one.

Her mother said she was confident her daughter could make a full recovery.

"But she has a long way to go. The bite affects all your muscles."

Ms McDonough had two shots of anti-venom to treat the wound.

Although her weekend was turned upside down, she had some good news.

"She won the fashions on the field, so it wasn't all in vain," Ms McCullough said.

Hamilton Racing Club secretary John Donnelly described the incident as incredible.

"But we have swampy grasslands at one end of the track and unfortunately it is not uncommon to see a snake," he said.

Another source said the patient waited 20 minutes for an ambulance to come from town because racing rules say the track's ambulance cannot leave during races.

The source said the grass had been mown last Thursday and the snake had come from nowhere. A male contestant had jumped out of the way but Ms McDonough been bitten.

"I think she got a sympathy vote in the end but she was a very impressive, well-dressed, nice-looking young girl," the source said.

.........I bet she looked hot with a tiger snake hanging off her! :lol: :twisted: (I'm also glad it escaped! Poor thing! Imagine being trampled by some oaf with high heels!)

http://www.theage.com.au/national/snake-in-the-grass-ends-day-at-races-20081019-542n.html

I read this story this morning. The Australian also had an article on line and I was most surprised to see one of my images next to it!!! no asking, no aknowledgment and they butchered the image as well. Not sure what to do about it yet..will have to make some enquiries. Anyone now much about copyright issues?

I read this story this morning. The Australian also had an article on line and I was most surprised to see one of my images next to it!!! no asking, no aknowledgment and they butchered the image as well. Not sure what to do about it yet..will have to make some enquiries. Anyone now much about copyright issues?
You will need some legal advise.
How did they get hold of it?

The image is on my website....www.pbase.com/saratoga

I presume they did a google image search for "tiger snake".....my image then comes up on page 3 of the search.

If they just would have asked me I would have been happy to let them use it if they gave me a credit under it! The image is not linked to my website...it is now linked to their database!

As quoted from the Australian Copyright Council:

Protection is free and automatic. There is no registration for copyright protection in Australia (for photographs). Copyright protection does not depend upon registration, publication, a copyright notice, or any other procedure – the protection is free and automatic. A photograph is protected by copyright automatically from the moment it is taken.

Send me a quick PM if you want the document and I'll email it to you ;)

The image is on my website....www.pbase.com/saratoga

I presume they did a google image search for "tiger snake".....my image then comes up on page 3 of the search.

If they just would have asked me I would have been happy to let them use it if they gave me a credit under it! The image is not linked to my website...it is now linked to their database!

Seek legal advice straight away :p you could make a pretty penny from them morons

Seek legal advice straight away :p you could make a pretty penny from them morons
Sadly not, it seems the media can use copyright material without permission but they must give acknowledgment.
The linking to their database is a big concern seeing there is no exif data or watermark

news teams/papers etc can get away with anything unfortunately.
i found a picture of me on the front page of the bulletin when i was 17 and i was the only one in the picture and yeah, i wasn't told about it etc, i rang the bulletin in tears and they were like "oh welll!!, ring the photographer!" lol

where are the hamilton races at?

Go to media watch. They love this kinda stuff and love to call out the big guys on mistakes.

Now there's an idea Waruikazi!

The editor of the Australian is calling me back shortly!

Well the editor never rang back so I ended up ringing him but he didn't have time to talk...told me to send an email.....so I did with an invoice attached!

That was weeks ago and I never heard anything back and had all but given up.

Then today an email pops up in my inbox telling me my invoice has been paid.....I thought it was spam!

I feel as though I 've had a win and am now $400 richer so it was well worth chasing it up on the day.

Had they have asked me nicely at the time if they could have used the image, I would have gladly said yes and just asked for a photo credit in return!

Good stuff. Bet you are wishing you had sent a larger bill, lol.
It's great you didn't have to go through too much trouble to get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back