Snake Not Able To Pass Urate?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kittycat17

Reaction score
Hey guys, I had a problem with one of my girls, it first occurred at this time last year, I would check on her a week or so after a feed and find her swollen in her back end, after gentle massaging a large amount of urate (some solid chunks, some crushed up pieces and quite a bit of liquid) then followed by a poo.
I left her for a bit but this happened a few weeks after each feed, got her checked out by my reptile vets and they where happy with her.
I then bred her and due to her being off her food there was no issues.
She laid her clutch with no issues. Took a while to go back to feeding but offered her a quail and that kick started her again

Now I've realised the same issue is occurring, the vets think it is dehydration but I'm worried it could be something more worrying, I'm going to make another vet appointment for the weekend if possible but was wondering if anyone had any thoughts?

1f14b6abf4912dbb74c57276d66719a8.jpg

Also temps are at 30-32 degrees (option of belly heat or basking light)
She has a water dish she can fit into

She is 12ish years old

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is she shedding normally in one piece?
If so I wouldn't put dehydration at the top of the list.

Are you feeding quail on a regular basis?
Could it be diet related?

Is she shedding normally in one piece?
If so I wouldn't put dehydration at the top of the list.

Are you feeding quail on a regular basis?
Could it be diet related?

Shedding perfectly including a shed after she laid and her prelay shed

No I only get quails rarely usually she gets lge-xlge rats or the occasional bunny

How often do you feed her?

I'm no expert but I would suggest getting her faeces tested for anything unusual but I really think this is more likely diet related.

How often do you feed her?

I'm no expert but I would suggest getting her faeces tested for anything unusual but I really think this is more likely diet related.

Fortnightly currently, unless it's a rabbit then I go 3-4 weeks

And once I've massaged her and gotten the urate out she usually is able to get the faeces out herself...

Last edited:
What's your expectation of times between passing waste? Some of my snakes go for weeks between dumps, and don't always pass urates at the same time. In any event, in my experience this holding on to wastes is usually caused by inactivity - it can happen to inactive humans too. GTPs are notorious for this, as they are probably the most inactive species I know. A regular cruise on the lawn for half an hour, maybe weekly or twice if you have the time, is a great way of getting things moving (you may already know that judging by the photo). I believe that the urates, if held in the lower bowel for extended periods of time, tend to dry out somewhat as water is absorbed, and can become difficult to pass. I'd try regular exercise before going to the vet again.

Jamie

What's your expectation of times between passing waste? Some of my snakes go for weeks between dumps, and don't always pass urates at the same time. In any event, in my experience this holding on to wastes is usually caused by inactivity - it can happen to inactive humans too. GTPs are notorious for this, as they are probably the most inactive species I know. A regular cruise on the lawn for half an hour, maybe weekly or twice if you have the time, is a great way of getting things moving (you may already know that judging by the photo). I believe that the urates, if held in the lower bowel for extended periods of time, tend to dry out somewhat as water is absorbed, and can become difficult to pass. I'd try regular exercise before going to the vet again.

Jamie

I do try and get her out as often as possible, she usually gets a good stretch on the weekends

The reason why it's a concern is because she becomes swollen and puffy just before her cloaca, so swollen there's some scale seperation (unfortunately I don't have a picture) and it looks like she desperately needs to get it out but can't
Usually she seems to relax when I massage it out of her like it was uncomfortable beforehand
But yesterday she seemed in pain.
I have tried warm baths as well but she hates baths and they seem to stress her more.

Are your vets equipped to do an ultrasound on her? That might be the best bet.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Are your vets equipped to do an ultrasound on her? That might be the best bet.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Yes they are, I see Robert Johnson at Sth Penrith

My biggest worry is we leave it thinking it's something easily fixed like dehydration and by the time we find out what it really is it's to late to fix the issue

An ultrasound will rule out any blockages, although if she is still pooping, it might not be a blockage. Otherwise, a blood test to make sure her kidneys are working properly.

An ultrasound will rule out any blockages, although if she is still pooping, it might not be a blockage. Otherwise, a blood test to make sure her kidneys are working properly.

Yeah that's what I'm worried about is kidney function she's not young so I want to rule out any issues

For those interested, the vet did faecal slide and it showed signs of a minor infection so she's got some medication to give her through her prey items

Sorry Kitty but I must have missed something.......
Snake isn't dehydrated, no signs of infestations or infection. What on earth is she being medicated for?

Sorry Kitty but I must have missed something.......
Snake isn't dehydrated, no signs of infestations or infection. What on earth is she being medicated for?

I said she's got a minor infection above that's what she's being medicated for

I missed it. Did the vet say what the infection was and where it was likely to have come from?

I missed it. Did the vet say what the infection was and where it was likely to have come from?

He said it looked like flagulites (wrong spelling I'm sure) they look like tiny tadpoles under the microscope

He didn't mention where they would have come from but did say they probably are causing the issues

Flagellates. A protozoan parasite infection, often an amoeba of some sort. Used to be Flagyl was the treatment, may still be as far as I know. Can often be pre-diagnosed (before examining stool sample) by an acrid and unpleasant smell when the snake defecates.

Jamie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back