Snake skin shed problem #2

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Razon

Not so new Member
Reaction score
ahh, im back again with the same problem...i have a tiger snake which has had some scale damage to his right side of his neck and a short while after that he began to shed, i know this because where the scale damage was it has gotten "dirty" from where the mucus has leaked out and has gotten mixed up with bits of dirt or whatever...ive tried bathing him, ive even bought Shed-Ease for him and put him in the water with it atleast 2x now, im going to do this again once i finish typing this but my question this time is,

lets say that his skin never does shed what problems can this cause exactly? please only reply if you KNOW THE EXACT ANSWER to what this can cause. i dont want to hear what you think will happen (i.e him dying) i want to know what you DO know will happen from previous experiences...i may come across as a bit of a tool in that last statement but its because im starting to really get worried about it and i dont wanna lose him since i think hes one in a million >.< such character lol.

hes a nice tiger if i can get a few pictures tonight i will post em up for you guys thank you.

I am not sure I have the exact answer but I am still willing to give it a shot. I am sorry if I am not the sharpest tool in your shed :p

Anyway, I would find it a bit concerning that where he has a damaged scale, that it is weeping. Have you made sure the area has not got an infection in there? Even if you're not sure, it would not hurt to dab some betadine or some anti-inflammatory cream to help protect it from germs that could get into it from the dirt getting in there.

As far as his shedding is concerned, if you read my reply in the other Skin Problems thread, I included a photo of one of my diamond pythons who has had very dry, rough and wrinkly skin since I brought them home. All three have some dry, wrinkly spots, but the photos I have shown, shows the worse of them. This could perhaps be an example to you, what could happen to Mr Tigger if he doesn't shed. My diamond is in at the vet still, receiving fluids and antibiotic treatment for dehydration and respiratory infection. But I have been corresponding with a very reliable person that my diamond does not look dehydrated but rather may have an old skin stuck on her, over her new skin. Its all opinion of course, photos can't tell the whole picture but I can't see that Mr Tigger wouldn't or couldn't shed his skin, or if he does have trouble, he may become rough and dry. But as I have been advised, if I keep an eye out for the shedding signs, when its time, I may need to intervene - soakings - to make sure that it ALL comes off. You might have to physically help him with shedding around the damaged scales but make sure he has been soaking. Wet skin comes off much easier than dry and less discomfort to him. I know we're talking about a tiger snake here, but eh, they still need TLC too.

I have never tried shed-ease and personally never will. I don't like using chemicals around my animals. F10 and dishwashing liquid are the only things I use. So I can't comment on its peformance. But I hope this helps, even just a bit. Good luck with Mr Tigger :)

Link to thread with pics of my diamond http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/herp-help-38/snake-skin-question-114235

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back