Snake staying in same spot

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CML88

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi guys - just a quick one, i fed my stimmy on sat night and since sunday hes just sat on the tree logg under the fake plant leaves below the basking light, and not moved from there - usually he moves around at lights out but he seems to just be staying there. ive checked on him and he moves a little when i move his leaves. Wondering is this normal for them to sit there so long? I thought maybe cause he had a big feed? but todays wed and still no movement around the enclosure.

cheers

Hey mate,

Sounds normal to me, my womas dont move around much at all.
What is the temp in the enclosure?
Take him out and just check if anything looks different on him since the last time you saw him, he maybe even just going into shed.

Niall

yeah ill second that, its sounds normal to me. check your cage temp hasnt dropped and apart from that i wouldnt worry

32-34 warm end 22-24 cold end. Well after i fed him on saturday he went and moved heaps through his water bowl, so maybe hes coming into a shed. il wait and see how he goes before i attempt to pick him up again caue i dont like disturbing him, unless hes out and about. Il see if he does his weekly thursday night poo tommorow lol.

So i thought i better check on him tonight and he is not himself. He is slow movement- not his inquisitive self. Very uneased and strikey. He hasnt pooped since saturday and he hasnt come of his heat loog. His eyes are not milky either. Do you think he could be sick? He is looking greyer than usual and normally he tries to slither away if he isnt in the mood but hes just sitting there with his head over the edge of his basking spot arching his back and hardly moving his bottom half!!!????!
he just moved onto his rock wall and he is very weak- shakey-.. im worried

Last edited:
What size enclosure is the snake in?
What are the temps at the basking spot and cool end?

You said "He is looking greyer then usual", sounds like it is coming up for a shed. Some snakes will get very uneasy and want to strike at any movement while in this state. As for the poop. Don't worry just yet. Sometimes it may take up to 2 weeks before my snakes will defecate after eating.

At the moment the warm end is 33.9 and the cold end is 24.2. after i moved his logg and folage of him he moved about a little bit now hes returned back to his spot. Def acting slower than normal - and yes theres like a tinge of dullness to his colour.

hes coming up for 8 months old next week. the last time he shed (according to feed history) was 17/02/09. Camera batterys are flat so i cant post any pics but can when they recharged. Best way to describe the way hes acting is like hes hungover.

Last edited:
hes coming up for 8 months old next week. the last time he shed (according to feed history) was 17/02/09.

How often do you feed him and are you feeding it mice or rats? At 8 months old it should be shedding more often then that. When my stimmies were 8 months old I was feeding them weaner rats every 2 weeks. They were shedding every 1.5 months.

ive only had him for about 4 weeks. um i started on one pinke a week and in the last two weekends it was two pinkes.

I didn't think it was possible for a little snake like that to not have shed for 8 months? =S. coz my spotted im guessing is around 5 months is shedding every 3 weeks. and I also noticed with the smaller snakes that you can't really see the opaque colour in their eyes when they're going to shed. It's not as obvious as bigger snakes. I kept a close watch on my snake if her body is starting to go grey coz I can barely see the eyes going opaque colour. The eyes are definitely different when in shed but it's just not as obvious.

Yea i know he must of shed heaps more but it wasint documented, his skin colour is different for sure looks like hes dusty?. as ive only had him for 4th week this week i havent seen him shed yet.

sounds like shedding for sure, my jungles wont defecate coming up to a shed (can take up to 3 weeks to poop!), their also quite dull,sluggish and bitey :lol:

mate if yo have had him 4 weeks, and he has not shed for you he must due to she ,explains the dull clour and lack of movement. usually in a hide.But i bet ya a dollar he sheds in a week for you. If he is warm and he ate i think he is fine.At his age he should shed every couple of months,if he is being regulary.

How long will this process usually take for a 8month old stimmy, hes still doing the same thing skin is looking rather creased but his grey tinge seems to be going.

Had my stimmie 5 months and i hardly ever see him cruisin then just as the weather warmed up over last couple a weeks he was out and about put me hand in to grab him an the little bugger had me S'd up every time i went to the cage could only just tell his eyes were milky but realized his skin had dulled he shed two nights ago havent seen him since like i said hes never been active ive also heard some people describe them as boring coz they just like to curl up cozy and hide I wouldnt be expecting that you will see to much of him thats just there nature i think

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back