Snake Tricks????

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Meg

Not so new Member
Reaction score
:?: I know they say that snakes are non-responsive to training and all that, but i heard about a guy that used to play catch with his python, not like the snake would chase it or anything, but like the snake would sit there with it's mouth open and if he threw something to it, the snake would catch it. i don't know how true it is and there's probably a few people laughing at this post, :lol: but i just thought i'd ask if anyone has a snake or anything that does tricks??

Also, would you say that snakes can be affectionate?? i've known people with snakes that were so friendly that they seemed to be showing affection but then a friend of mine (who hates snakes) said "don't mistake affection for tolerance" - which made me wonder.... :idea:

any thoughts??? :D

I wish I could say yes they are affectionate, but I believe the answer is no (except for olives :wink: ). Have heard talk that some monitors maybe more intelligent than most think tho.

My spotteds show a preference for me rather than other people (given the chance they will climb on me rather than another person). Though I put this down to the fact that I have a familiar scent and they have learnt over time that I am not threatening. To put another way I think they prefer to tolerate me rather than tolerate someone alot less familiar.

I wouldn't doubt the monitors being smarter than given credit. Their way of thinking would be different to ours thats all, hence people attribute them to be less smart.

munkee said:
My spotteds show a preference for me rather than other people (given the chance they will climb on me rather than another person). Though I put this down to the fact that I have a familiar scent and they have learnt over time that I am not threatening. To put another way I think they prefer to tolerate me rather than tolerate someone alot less familiar.

My snakes seems to do the same. Also when I take them outside, they will follow me all the time.

my 16 month old coastal when handled will stretch himself out to ur face give u a tickle on the nose with his tongue and then back away again, i believe he is very affectionate and the tickles he is giving me are his way of giving me a kiss :)

munkee said:
My spotteds show a preference for me rather than other people
My beardie shows a preference for me also.

When outside - if a bird flys overhead, or someone moves in his direction - he runs straight too me - infact he made it right up the right leg of my boardies on the weekend :shock: Didn't really hurt...that is untill I tried to get him out....ouch!!!

I also think that he has more tollerance for me than others. Perhapps its my scent???

Snakes can be kinda trained in terms of going to the toilet on grass lol :lol: ;)

I don't think snakes are affectionate, I believe it's more that they come back to their owners because they recognise the scent and are probably a bit less stressed when you're handling them as opposed to someone else. I still tell myself that they love me though...THEY LOVE ME DAMMIT!!! :shock: :twisted: :lol:

i dont know if i would say they are affectionate, but they definatly have individual personalities, and all my herps tend to favour me over anybody else. i think lizards have more personality, also when my beardies snuggle up to me and go to sleep, i think it is more because im warm and they know im not a threat and friendly, as for favouring me over others, i would say that i because they all know my natural smell. either way herps are great and i love lizard personalities.

yep.. tollerence, my snakes do the same as others have said they prefer that i hold them than others they are unfamiliar with.
i do see my snakes have an amazing amount of affection for little furry critters though, they hug them soooo tight ;)

zard said:
my snakes have an amazing amount of affection for little furry critters though, they hug them soooo tight ;)

And give them big love bites too!!

Itd definately tolerance. I think they get used to your personal touch when handling though. They can sense your relaxed and confident, they feel secure. Ive seen , I dont know how many folks get all nervy handling their first python at exibitions etc, and the snake freaks quickly.

Well I think it varies from animal to animal. My last diamond (which escaped and was never found) was friendly but not affectionate. But my current diamond who is about 7 months old will be on the lounge with me and specifically climb up around my neck and sit there. He loves me :) Certainly the most placid snake I've ever come accross. He doesn't give the slightest flinch when I grab him out of his enclosure.

I'd really like to see some footage of the snake catching a ball in its mouth. :D

My snake Blocker can do a cool party trick. He can swollow a whole chicken that weighs just over a kilo!!!!

Linus said:
I'd really like to see some footage of the snake catching a ball in its mouth. :D

As long as you keep your snakes caged an wear appropriate clothing that should never happen.

Linus wrote: ›I'd really like to see some footage of the snake catching a ball in its mouth.

peterrescue wrote:As long as you keep your snakes caged an wear appropriate clothing that should never happen.

hehehehe :) good one peter :):):):):)

moosenoose said:
Every few months or so mine escapes out of its own straightjacket! Does that count?? :wink:
you are talking about your snake there arent you moose?

my lil guy is only tollerant on ocation. though i think he finds being ouside relaxing. i hardly ever handle him unless i take him outside. he just calms down and slithers around on the grass. and if he gets mad he takes a few strikes at my big toe(least i don't feel it). if i put him on the ground he slithers away at a slow pace. just tollerance. atm my lil guy is still learning that biting me aint gunna do anything but extend the time hes out(i only put him back in his enclosure if hes been good for at least 5 mins).

andrew

well I got a well trained scrub, he pisses on me when I get him out and I clean the cage and he repays me by biting me!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back