Trying to decide on my first snake

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maggs

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Trying to decide on what my first snake should be. I have been doing a lot of research before I choose. I have narrowed it down to a Stimmie or a Woma. I really like to Woma, but bit concerned about their hectic feeding response. Don’t mind getting bitten, but just read a few stories and met a couple of overly aggro ones.

I would like a snake that is reasonably docile, but is mainly a good display animal (sits on branches etc.) and is on the lower maintenance end. Never owned a reptile, but I own dogs, and have owned a variety of other different animals in the past. Any advice would be great, open to other suggestions too.

Hey Maggs, I'm so excited for you! Getting a first snake is always exciting. I haven't owned a stimmie but I would definitely recommend a Woma. They do have a habit of either being super chill or really agro but overall I think they're a great display snake. It does depend on the woma and how comfortable they are with you but my woma and my mates woma's all will wander around the tank most afternoons and will follow you along the glass till you take them out. There's no guarantee that yours will do this but they are very inquisitive and characteristic snakes as far as I've seen. That's all I've gotta say so good luck with your future snake and have fun!

Can't go wrong with a Centralian. They fit all your preferences, are arboreal and very docile.

They are very good looking animal, although like a fair few pythons, their head looks to small (unlike a coastal).

They happen to be a gorgeous looking animal too as a bonus.

since you are looking for your first snake, I would suggest something from the Antaresia species.(Stimsons,spotted, childrens,pygmy,pygmy banded) They are great beginner snakes, not that other species are a problem. We have Morelia (carpets) as well (plus others but lets not worry about them now). It's just how deep you want to dive. Antaresia are small and mostly well mannered so they are ideal as first snakes and a great introduction into snake keeping

Last edited:
Back