Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BiteAndSqueeze

Reaction score
I thought that the snakes/cats thread was going to be about the reactions between your snakes and other pets. I'd be interested to know now how people's other pets do react to their snakes.
I've got 2 snakes which I keep together so I take them out separately to feed and have the occasional play.
We have also got a cat and a dog. The cat is a black moggy and the dog is a Schipperke which is meant to be known as a ratter and snake chaser.
When I feed the snakes I put the dog and cat outside but of course kids leave doors open etc and the cat and dog have at times come into the room with the snakes.
I have always been fearful that the cat or moreso the dog might attack the snakes.
To my surprise however, neither animal has shown any interest in the snakes at all despite getting quite close.
Do other people have other pets which react to their snakes?

I have a Bearded Dragon that is allowed to wander the lounge room when I am at home (so I know where he is) and he knows exactly where the window is to aggravated my Mini Foxy.
The window is floor to roof and Falkor lays on the sill staring at Jack, I am pretty sure he is smiling. :lol:
Jack is livid you can see him vibrating from restraining himself. Jack never comes inside but if he could I am sure he would want to eat my Beardie :p

PLEASE NOTE: while this is a very interesting topic, and not exclusively about cats, it will have to be removed if it starts to look contentious.

Thanks Lily

On the otherside of that! I have a Little Lorrikeet that I let hop around on the tiles in our rumpus room when I am there (he likes company), he was hopping merrily around when I suddenly heard this banging and glass shaking, I looked over to see Rex (my newly acquired Bearded Dragon from TeamSherman) trying to break out of his enclosure to eat my bird. he was going at it hammer and tong, hence never the two shall meet :lol:

I have two small dogs, one DEFINATELY small enough to be eaten by three of my pythons, and a cat. One dog has been bitten twice, totally unprovoked, by a particular snake who hates anything with 4 legs (clearly jealous). Hence she is ultra-weary of the snakes.

The cat is quite curious and even caused me to get bitten once. She approached me as I was holding a snake and stretched out to sniff it. I read the writing and went to push her away. At the very same moment the snake struck, and accidentally got me instead.

The third and smallest of the mammals is blindly unaware of the danger she is in and will walk all over the snakes if she is left to be around when they are out. I wish she'd get a warning bite just to teach her to stay away.

:twisted: dogsdogsdogsdogsdogsdogs :twisted:

I used to have a coastal (who was only about 2 foot long at the tiime) who used to continually strike at the glass of his enclosure whenever my puppy used to walk by (the puppy was about 20 kg). It got so bad that I thought he was going to end up doing some real damage to himself and I ended up having to cover the glass of his enclosure whenever the dog was inside. I thought this would have scared the dog off snakes for life but apparantly no, i just saw this same dog (now a big 75 kg boy) recently lying in the yard chomping on a bone while a brown snake slithered over the top of him, turn around and then slithered back over again. Maybe if the snake had of tried to steal his bone it would have been a different story :D

Damn Possum, you live in your very own "Iraq"... so many different factions all trying to get at eachother! :wink:

My old cat eyes the snakes from a distance and keeps out of their way, even going so far as to walk around the hall to get from one room to another to avoid going near them.

The snakes, they would follow her if they could. :twisted:

She knows the difference though, between pet and not. In an old place I lived, she was 'worrying' at the edge of a towel I had put into the hall outside the bathroom for washing. Thinking a cockroach or some other 'dragon' might have gone under it, I lifted it up, only to find a young wild dugite coiled up under it!! No, she didn't attack and the snake took off safely out of the house rather quickly.

What a good and clever cat! :)

When I take a snake out of one of the bottom or second-bottom enclosures, my cat will jump in there to try it out for size. If I'm not paying attention she'll bunk down for a nap in there like it's her special spot. I can't imagine what the poor snake must think of the new smell in it's enclosure!

Well that's a sentence you don't see very often, not in my house anyway :lol:

reptililian said:
What a good and clever cat! :)

My dog likes my snakes and lizards. We once had a land mullet dig its way out of a cage and Conan my Staffy barked like crazy to alert me something was wrong. Yet when the next door neighbours rabbit got into the yard he chased it round like crazy. As Brutus has his own outdoor aviary he was going beserk about the rabbit being there too. The only problem i really have is that Conan loves to urinate on EVERYTHING. Brutus likes to crap and urinate near one side of his aviary and Conan is forever cocking his leg and squirting through the aviary over the spot that Brutus does. He also has a habit of peeing on those Reptarium enclosures you get from Herptrader everytime i take it outside so that my Diamond can get some sun.

Simone.

I have had email from people I previously thought rather sensible, asking me to sign petitions to have Bonsai Kitten shut down, as they claim it is cruel and should be illegal.

I can appreciate that the original petition emailer probably had/has a great sense of humour, but I worry about the fate of human intelligence after it has been forwarded so many times. :(

Back on the subject of cats. I am lucky with my old one, but I had to find a new home for an Oriental catten (too old to be kitten, yet too young to be cat) a few months back. He would have eaten every young snake in the house if I had taken my eyes off him. Came home one day to find a GTS tub on the ground thanks to him, (it didn't open) and he left here the same night.

He was a sweetheart, but the snakes mean more to me. :)

All our kids get on fine, although i am sure the snakes would eat the cats and birds if given the chance, the cats are the best fun to poke when the snakes are out, never knew cats could jump so high from a sitting position :lol: . with the right training however i think most can get along you will always have some that have that instinct just to hunt, sadly gekkos are not safe in our house due to our mob of 4 cats but they are not concerned with our blueys in the tanks (even babys) odd really. the dogs pay no attention to the snakes crawling on them, 11 year old german shepards, i think its just too much effort to move and they know they are not allowed to touch "so why bother moving really"

our kids are 4 cats, 2 dogs, 5 birds, 3 blueys, 12 snakes (had a fish but he died at age 4, then i used his tank for rats) and everyone get on fine, i have a great wife too i might add :eek:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back