Snakes in Top Queensland

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Slateman

I am planing Bike trip from Cairns to Cape York this year. I am wandering if there is available some poster with photos of snakes living in that part of Australia. I have purchased poster in Northern teritory with pictures of local snakes and would like simeller thing for top Queensland area.
Mabe some pocket book with all photos.

Years ago when I lived in QLD there was a poster available from parks and wildlife

The Herp Shop, I believe, has a Qld reptile Field Guide available. I am sure I saw one there Slatey, give Brian a ring mate he's the most helpful guy in the scene :)

I'd get either the Qld reptile field guide by Wilson or reptiles of australia by Wilson and Swan.
They'll fit into panniers better than a poster will and have all the skinks and goannas that you will see too.

I purchased a copy recently and think it excellent.

If I could only purchase one field guide I would go for "A Complete Guide to REPTILES of Australia" By Steve Wilson and Gerry Swan but this is larger and more expensive.

The Field Guide for Queensland is organised very well and is excellent value. Here is the spiel from the Herp Shop web site:

hs_BookRepQld_thumb.jpg

NEW RELEASE
A FIELD GUIDE TO REPTILES
OF
QUEENSLAND

By Steve Wilson

Published by Reed New Holland, Australia. Jan 2005
Soft cover - plastic sleeve. 21cm x 15cm. 256 pages. Keys to Genera. Color photos. Distribution maps.

Queensland is home to an extraordinary diversity of reptiles. This is because it has so many different types of habitat. In the tropical rainforest lives one of Australia's most spectacular dragons, the Boyd's Rainforest Dragon. The arid south-west is home to the deadly Inland Taipan. In the deeply cracked black soiled plains of the Mitchell Grass Downs, Collett's Snake hides from the baking midday sun. In the far north there are isolated pockets of New Guinean animals, among them the magnificent Green Tree Python, which lives in the Iron and McIlraith Ranges and can be found by day coiled around thick vines. And few Queensland homes are without delightful nocturnal geckos.

A Field Guide to Reptiles of Queensland covers all of Queensland's 440 named species, including 135 that occur nowhere else. Colour photographs make for quick identification, aided by line drawings, keys, distribution maps and descriptions.

Steve Wilson has recently co-authored with Gerry Swan the authoritative A Complete Guide to Reptiles of Australia. His lifelong love affair with reptiles has taken him to some of Australia's most remote places. An excellent communicator, he has written and illustrated many articles and in 2000 he won Australian Geographic's Photography of the Year. For 18 years he has worked at the Queensland Museum, educating the public, identifying their specimens and raising awareness about Australia's unique biological heritage and how to conserve it.

The Herp Shop price - $34.95.

Thank you all for input.
I will take the book option as you sugested.I do have 4 months time to make decission.

Snakesin Top Queensland

:) Goodstuff slates,you need a bike with a side car for the chondro cage matey. :)

RE: Snakesin Top Queensland

LOL Trip is mainly for Bike ride with few bushwalks. I am going with my 5 friends and me and Greg will try to spot some snakies if possible.

I hope that we don't need a mechanic. :lol:

RE: Snakesin Top Queensland

I'm jelous mate
I'll head up there one day for a good ride.I've never been up past the sunshine coast.
Hope you have a great one

I would like to thank to Bombie (Bruce) for sending me the poster with all queensland snakes.
Highly appriciated.

Sounds like a great trip slatey, I love those bike trips away. You certainly know it though when you have done a few thousand kays. But it is awesome, would stop going on them for anything......excpet maybe some chondros.....only maybe though.... :shock: :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back