Snakes & Reptiles in NSW pet shops.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree go to some pet stores and the conditions are horrendous. I stand by the poster who recommended pets not be sold at pet shops at all. People might think every so often instead of just throwing money at the owners and then treating the animal like its a pos.

I reckon their should be more sites like herptrader which you can trust for certain regions NSW|WA etc... that would be a nice smart change.

Last thing we need is more death to reptiles then what is all ready caused by roads and ill minded people that get scared ****less when they see a snake and kill it.

I say that law should be revoked !
Cheers bcurko

pet industry news letter:

[FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']Although New South Wales currently has a number of restrictions on the importation and sale of reptiles, the Minister for Climate Change, Environment and Water, Phil Koperberg, gave the Department of Environment and Climate Change (DECC) his approval in principle of a new commercial reptile traders license. This could allow NSW retailers to catch up with the other states and sell URS livestock such as the Blue-tongued Lizard through their own stores.[/FONT]

I say BOOOOOOO. Don't want to see it happen. Reptiles will become another mistreated animal that can be offloaded or dumped at pet shops, and another avenue for hybrid breeders to promote their so-called rare and special designer breeds. Or tell the buyers that the animal is one thing and forget to mention the rest.

I totally agree with this post!

I say BOOOOOOO. Don't want to see it happen. Reptiles will become another mistreated animal that can be offloaded or dumped at pet shops, and another avenue for hybrid breeders to promote their so-called rare and special designer breeds. Or tell the buyers that the animal is one thing and forget to mention the rest.

Word.
Last thing we need is more disgusting hybrids ruining the animals we have.

look up clover moore, an independant MP in NSW who is working towards banning the sale of cats and dogs in pet shops (and other animals) if you have a facebook profile i have a group that covers these exact issues, and being that i'm up in QLD where reptiles are sold in pet shops theres stuff on that there too. its called 'ban the sale of cats and dogs in pet shops. so look it up, there are links to relevant sites and organisations too.

pets shops are just a means for irresponsible breeders to make a quick buck by passing off their bubs too early. from personal experience i saw a hatchy spotted have its neck clamped to stop it from regurgitating its food after being force fed, i asked why they bought them from the breeders like that and they simply said thats the way they do it. that hatchies 'always' need force feeding. :(

could you post that facebook group? i'm sure it would be popular here

yeh i agree! as much as a love reptiles and want to see them more often i also reallt think they will become mistreated in petshops. It should stop in ALL states so that you can only get them at breeders like Southern X or Snake Ranch ect.. or private breeders too who actually put time and money into it.

first reps in pet shops, then they will add some reptiles too the exempt list which will then encourage on the spot buying= animals being treated like crap and being released into the wild. imo no native animals should be sold in pet shops

Even in recent months I have had ppl catch snakes out of their sheds and ask me to buy them. Ask them how much they want? They say, "well this guy would have to be worth $500."
"Go release it back in ya barn mate."

at least FOR NOW you still have to have a licence to keep all reptiles, I think only reptile related shops should be aloud to sell, i really think its a wrong move

I'm not sure that the problem is so much how snakes would be treated in petshops - that problem is more of a monitoring issue and as other people have pointed out, home breeders can be just as lax. I would be more concerned that making snakes available in petshops will lead to far more impulse purchases of reptiles, therefore more mistreatment (through ignorance or neglect)

You see so many people on APS from out of NSW who have been given dreadful information by petshops which has led to illness or death of their animals. I can't see why this would be any different. I really believe that the steps that currently need to be undertaken in NSW to purchase a reptile (apply for a licence, find a breeder, usually organise transportation etc) are necessary to discourage impulse buyers (ie 16 year old boys who think it would be "cool" to have a snake)

I only wish that people had to go through these steps before they get a dog!

Yea i was all in favour of the whole snakes in the pet stores thought it would b cool, i grew up in melb but knw live in syd and anyways went down to visit the folks and since i have evolved my passion for reptiles i thought i wld go this big petstore not far from where i grew up and to tell u the true it was exciting to c them live, but the girl working there had no idea about them they had no hides and where freaking from people walking past all the time, shed skin was still in the cages as was poo, and the where charging way to much, so i think i will just stick to a reputable breeder.

i think it is a good idea.

you can't tell me there is no mistreating of reptiles in private collections.

also how can there be impulse buying when you need a licence to buy them.

as long as there is some strict regulations and montetering such as:
the shop has to have a licence and at least one trained person that has the correct knowledge to look after them.
limit the number of animals the shop can have at any one time.
limit the species they can sell to basic animals like blue tongues, beardies,childrens group.
inspections of the animals and conditions regulary.

what is the difference to a pet shop selling them and a person breeding and selling them from his house, or commercally like snake ranch (only one i can think of in nsw)

i think it is a good idea.

you can't tell me there is no mistreating of reptiles in private collections.

also how can there be impulse buying when you need a licence to buy them.

as long as there is some strict regulations and montetering such as:
the shop has to have a licence and at least one trained person that has the correct knowledge to look after them.
limit the number of animals the shop can have at any one time.
limit the species they can sell to basic animals like blue tongues, beardies,childrens group.
inspections of the animals and conditions regulary.

what is the difference to a pet shop selling them and a person breeding and selling them from his house, or commercally like snake ranch (only one i can think of in nsw)

thats the thing there wont be strict regulations because npws licencing is enromously under staffed. i think the animals welfare should also be looked at and if not in the correct set up or poorly kept, the licence would be removed for the shop and be unable to obtain one again.

i haven't been bothered to read anything ebcaseu it takes to long, i'll read it next, but i reckon it has its ups and downs!
ups:
gets people into keeping reptiles
easier to get reptiles
if people sell them in shops they are going tro have more things to do with reptiles!

downs:
i can so see someone going out to buy a snake and a person going in and getting bitten!
they could be treated poorly or with not proper noladge etc (i can't spell that work)
no one would want to come into a shop and see a snake being fed a at or something
and anything else has said!

Luke

downs:
i can so see someone going out to buy a snake and a person going in and getting bitten!
no one would want to come into a shop and see a snake being fed
Luke

first they could use a little hook like those pocket hooks.
the shop could feed it just after they close and that way it would be gone when they come in the morning or if it is like the one i work at and we get there an hour before we open to clean feed them then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back