So afterall they do have feelings..... not to mention strange behaviour

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

anna.jc

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I am just a recent beginner to the herp world but I just had a memory pop into my head with my very first diamond that I wanted to share it was a male yearling (escaped - my fault :cry: ). His name was Thor and he had been hiding for a long period of time in his favoured small teracotta pot on the warm side of the terrarium, opposed to the large log on the cool side.

I slid off the lock which makes a loud enough noise to disturb a sloth but I paused for a second looking at whatever I was looking at and through my proriferal vision I did not realise this at first but he shot right out of the little opening from the terracotta pot and striked, only he hit the glass close to where my hand was positioned :shock:. I did not realise what he had just done, then I put two and two together the noise of the hit on the glass and that he was actually looking pretty agitated. So I said 'OK, Ok I get it, your clearly not in the mood so ahh.... I'm just going to go ahead and put that lock right back on and pretend this never happend'.... *back away slowly*. The part I found so odd is that he retreated back into the terracotta pot but he left his little head poking out the opening in view as if he was watching me with eyes that stabbed like a frieking knife my god!

This was the first attempt throughout the 3 short but best months I had him that he ever came close to striking at me and later that week he did shed although there were absolutely no signs other than the constant hiding but it explained his reactions.

I just found his behaviour so fascinating but maybe some of the more experienced herpers out theres find it a regular thing. Does anyone else have some interesting/funny/odd behaviour related stories I would love to hear???

Cheers
Anna

You are right they cannot hear! Though i have no doubt that the lock used for glass sliding doors makes vibration on the glass as it is taken off and put back on.

Could have also tasted you in the air. You mustn't have tasted too good with that sort of reaction though. ;) :p Jokes.
But yeah, it was probably that he noticed movement and wasn't a fan.

perhaps detected the vibrations from your movements. Similiar thing happened with my leopard geck when i started with herps overseas, he'd notice movements from his drift wood hide and go full on hunter mode stalking any crickets and looking up (used to drop them in from the lid). Loved how he wiggles his tail before pouncing.

Another one was the Indonesian blue tongue i kept, subadult male, was very good at bluffing/hissing/lunging with mouth open but once you get ahold of him he calms down almost immediately and just sits there... The only time he ever bit me was by accident from me holding a slice of tomato too close to his mouth, bad move on my part.

that makes me want to get a leopard gecko they are too cute

Last edited:
Snakes certainly don't like surprises, my tiny little Darwin girl tagged me yesterday, she was fully relaxed and I grabbed her a bit to fast and whammo. She was fine after she realised it was just me. I had to laugh though, she is the smallest snake I have, I barely felt anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back