Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am pretty sure that is boyds dragon!!:lol:

Any chance of grabbing me one....They dont bite too much!!!!

spiderdan where do you live do you live in central AUS

Yulara mate about 20kms from Uluru.
We live in the resort (Ayers Rock Resort) and get to see quite a devirse range of reptiles here. The only sad thing is you see so many dead thornies on the road and other reptile as well. I offen see quite large sandies run over and think to myself " how the hell didn't you see that" .

The first 2 pics are Varanus gilleni and the last is Varanus flavirufus.
Thanks for the reply Spiderdan. The first shot is pretty cool with the pair sticking their heads out of the wall.
I didn't know that flavirufus has been elevated to species status. Do you know who made this taxonomic change?

99% certain the first one is Egernia kingii, have you spotted the second one in the first pic,LOL. second skink i think is Morethia obscura. Third and last is Egernia napoleonis.

I am actually yet to see a goulds hooded myself but yes they are common.
Thanks Steve. I thought that the last Egernia looked different to the specimens in the first pic. I had noticed the second one playing peeka-boo!
The Morethia obscura looks a bit like our eastern states' Red-throated Skink (Acritoscincus platynotum).

Last edited:
Bushman

M. obscura range does extend into Victoria and NSW somewhat. We have at least one other with a red throat M. lineooccellata However this has a pale Midlateral stripe extending from lip to tail.

Steve

G'day Steve. Sorry, I meant Acritoscincus platynotum. Bloody common names!
Thanks for the extra info. You're good with your skinks!
Some folks don't seem to be able to tell the difference between a skink and a croc, let alone a croc and a keelback!

Thanks for the reply Spiderdan. The first shot is pretty cool with the pair sticking their heads out of the wall.
I didn't know that flavirufus has been elevated to species status. Do you know who made this taxonomic change?

My bad Varanus gouldii flavirufus

Thanks for clarifying that mate. I thought I'd missed something. I'm glad that it's still where it is, as I don't believe that they're distinct enough to be separated.

Actually, after a second look, the skink paying peek-a-boo looks like it might be a E.napoleonis.
The lower labials look much paler than the big specimen on top of the wall. What do you guys think?

attachment.php

Last edited:
the one playing peek a boo is still small and has a more brown head and body i think it is just because he still needs to develop the nicer black colour

but there is about 5 lizards who are in the exact same spot and sleep together i think they are all related

Thanks for clarifying that mate. I thought I'd missed something. I'm glad that it's still where it is, as I don't believe that they're distinct enough to be separated.

Me just being lazy haha

anyone want to share some of there backyard herps it doesnt have to be awesome just a garden skink or anything you can find found this little guy last night and another skink this one looks different though:lol:

Attachments

• DSCN1005.jpg
    DSCN1005.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 126
  • DSCN0922.jpg
    DSCN0922.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 120
99% certain the first one is Egernia kingii, have you spotted the second one in the first pic,LOL. second skink i think is Morethia obscura. Third and last is Egernia napoleonis.

I am actually yet to see a goulds hooded myself but yes they are common.

yeh, #1 is a kings skink, lol i didnt see the other one until i double checked after reading your comment lol

anyone want to share some of there backyard herps it doesnt have to be awesome just a garden skink or anything you can find found this little guy last night and another skink this one looks different though:lol:
will try to get pics, if i can get camera and if its a good day in vic 2morro, we have a few types of skinks here, i'll catch and take pics of as many as i can 4 ya! lol

Lizardman, I'm fairly certain the skink is another E. napoleonis.

Bushman, I think your right about the little guy playing peek a boo. I have a sneaky suspicion that the E. kingii is actually a very dark E. napoleonis.

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back