Some gecko questions

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

m_beardie

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hey i was just have a few questions:

1. How do i keep the sand moist in my gecko enclosure? I spray it every day a few times but is this enough?

2. How deep should the sand be for my female? Can it be less deep for the male?

Thank you

P.S it's a smooth knob-tailed gecko

Also, what kinds of things can i use for hides that i could just find in the house?

Use can use things like trays for flower pots or you can make little tents out of carboard and sticky tape.

Apart from misting the wall every few days u should also mist under their hides especially when shedding
Bout 2 inches deep for the substrate will be fine for both of them

i dont really think it needs to be that damp but just spray the enclosure every 2nd day and it should be fine. is the female gravid or not? hides you can just use bark or small flower pot saucers with a hole made in one side.
cheers
mark

I just spray the cool end of their tub every other day. This keeps it sufficiently moist for them. It dries out within a day but they have been doing fine with this method.

As for depth of sand its your choice on how you like to do it. The sand in all my tubs is less than 1cm deep. When the females are due to lay i put a laying box in with them, this comprises of a 3L sistema tub, hole cut in the side for access, and filled with moist sand. This works well for me and the females always lay inside these.

ok great no i don't have geckos yet but just making sure everything is okay. my setup seems fine according to you guys so i guess im set :D

m_beardie i thought you said your gecko died ???? but in this thread at 2 this arvo your telling everyone you dont have a gecko yet?

It did die and I'm getting another pair soon thats why im preparing all the setups etc...

Yesterday was really hot and he died in the heat:(

Yesterday was really hot and he died in the heat:(
Jesus a desert species dying from heat?
You must have let it get pretty hot.
You should not be running any heat during the day at this time of year unless you have a well air conditioned room

He may have died from something else I am still not surre

Either way im sorry to hear about it.
You need to figure out what killed it before you make the same mistake twice

i am sorry to hear that m_beardie. do you know how hot it got. but yeah hope you get your new set up goin well and this new pair go well and breed fo you.

Tanks

Here are some pics of each one The one with red sand is for the female. I am yet to put in some extra hides.

Attachments

• IMG_1893.jpg
    IMG_1893.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_1889.jpg
    IMG_1889.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 56
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back