Some mods i did to a tank

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gar1

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi guys just thought i would share some pics of the mods i did to my gippsland water dragon tank, i put in a deeper water area for them and a filtration for them and a quick rearange of the cage furniture. They seem to love it.

Attachments

• Tank1.jpg
    Tank1.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 133
  • Tank2.jpg
    Tank2.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 107
  • Tank3.jpg
    Tank3.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 81
  • Tank4.jpg
    Tank4.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 105
The enclosure looks great. I like the look of the water fountain.

Quite aesthetic, well done... it is hard to tell but if they jump in the water, can they still climb out relatively easy.

Dont want to wake up to a drown animal, it will annoy you, and really get under your pets skin.

But yeah, well done.

Cheers

i put big pebbles on the bottom so its not as deep as it looks and they can get out really easy, i thought of that when i was doing it.

Looks fantastic....Can I offer 1 piece of advice?

To make it look more natural, why don't you add some leaves or pine bark and some sticks from the garden (washed first) to cover the astro turf...it would make that enclosure look 100% better IMO.

You have done a fantastic job anyway, but the astro turf stands out too much beside that beautiful little pool for your guy to dip in! Not to mention they harbour bacteria when your animal defecates on it, it's a pain to clean unless you have spare pieces to put in. Trust me I have learnt from trial and error!
With a substrate just pick out the bits with poo on them and every so often replace the lot...easy peasy and looks really cool.
Well done!!! :D

Also, change the water regularly, as they like to crap in it as well! I usually add ammonia eliminator (fish tank stuff) to get rid of the nasties so you don't have to clean it every other day!!

Looks fantastic....Can I offer 1 piece of advice?

To make it look more natural, why don't you add some leaves or pine bark and some sticks from the garden (washed first) to cover the astro turf...it would make that enclosure look 100% better IMO.

You have done a fantastic job anyway, but the astro turf stands out too much beside that beautiful little pool for your guy to dip in! Not to mention they harbour bacteria when your animal defecates on it, it's a pain to clean unless you have spare pieces to put in. Trust me I have learnt from trial and error!
With a substrate just pick out the bits with poo on them and every so often replace the lot...easy peasy and looks really cool.
Well done!!! :D

Yeah have to agree with this, i find carpets, newspaper, astro turf, a pain to clean. Got to take everything out, pull out all the substrate since it is all one peice generally, clean the bottom and put new paper/ carpet etc in ( or wash the carpet etc which is a pain in itself) then replace everything.

Utilising "fragmented" substrate means you just pull that bit out all the way to the floor, give that spot a little clean, and put in a little more or spread it around a bit.

Still though it looks good, you might need a spring board into their pool for them, looks like they already have the 10m board off the branch

Still though it looks good, you might need a spring board into their pool for them, looks like they already have the 10m board off the branch

LOL, it's a pretty sweet enclosure coming along for sure, the pool is really cool, love it!!

To make cleaning out the diving pool (as i now refer to it) this weekend i am going to put a drain plug in the bottom to drain the water out. I like the idea of aking it look more natural for the substrate but i dont have much around would it be ok to buy pine bark, wash it let it dry and then put it in and what would be the best type.

To make cleaning out the diving pool (as i now refer to it) this weekend i am going to put a drain plug in the bottom to drain the water out. I like the idea of aking it look more natural for the substrate but i dont have much around would it be ok to buy pine bark, wash it let it dry and then put it in and what would be the best type.
LOL, that's the new name for it then. Cool!!
Putting a drain in it, is the perfect solution and one I have done with my Angle Head enclosure and all of the enclosures that have a vessel of water in them, makes for easy cleaning.
Pine bark is sweet, atleast it is a natural looking substrate, not as sterile and fake as the astro turf, don't you think?
Imagine how happy your little guys will be running around on a surface that is natural rather than man made....I guess it's the best you can give them in an artificial environment hey!
Mate, it's all about trial and error and trying to mimic the animals natural habitat.
If you can do that, your animal will feel as comfortable as it can and act as close as they can (in captivity) to what they would do in the wild... that's what it's all about when you have a pet; isn't it? :)
Keeping heaps of animals is different, but for you, it's the go!
Good luck and keep us posted , I reckon it'll change this weekend...lol :D

sorry to ask but isn't the enclosure alittle small water dragons grow very fast, well thats theimpression i get any way. won't 2 out grow this awsome setup way to fast?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back