Some questions for the guru's

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bakes

Reaction score
Can you manipulate the sex of a clutch of snake eggs, like you can do with croc's, by adjusting the temps?

What do you think is the most popular sex sold as pets, Does the average snake buyer care what sex he/she has?

a) No

b) Not sure what you mean but males are sometimes cheaper than females especially in species such as Woma or Blackheaded, so Ill take a guess and say males are more popular.

c) do they care what sex? Depends on what you plan on doing with you snake, if you are just after an unusual pet than no, but if your plannin on breeding then obviously sex will be important

hi,
it's funny that you ask the question about heat and the sex of your snake hatchlings,
i know from a few breeders here where i live that they always end up with more females then males, and in most cases it is hard to find a male in a clutch,
i have 60 coastal eggs from 3 different females in now and i'm interested in seeing what the sex ratio is, i'm not going to say that it's the hotter weather, but who knows? all i do know is that i had to buy a male darwin from tim as i ended up with 2 females bought from a friend that bred them here, i also bought 4 childreni's and they were all females, but we did end up getting a male from the same person, it just seems that breeders up here end up with more females then males,
but thats just my opinion,

cheers,
steve......

steve6610 said:
hi,
it's funny that you ask the question about heat and the sex of your snake hatchlings,
i know from a few breeders here where i live that they always end up with more females then males, and in most cases it is hard to find a male in a clutch,
i have 60 coastal eggs from 3 different females in now and i'm interested in seeing what the sex ratio is, i'm not going to say that it's the hotter weather, but who knows? all i do know is that i had to buy a male darwin from tim as i ended up with 2 females bought from a friend that bred them here, i also bought 4 childreni's and they were all females, but we did end up getting a male from the same person, it just seems that breeders up here end up with more females then males,
but thats just my opinion,

cheers,
steve......

Hi Steve6610,
Temp dependent sex is related to the incubation temperture that you use to incubate the egg's at in some lizards,turtles and croc's, the outside weather and temp wouldn't effect an incubator that is set to stay spot on at the desired temp.
I hope that makes sense.

Neil

hi neil,
yes make sence, and i agree, what i was wanting to point out is that incubating most likely would have no affect, but maybe the all year weather conditions could have a affect, i know lots of breeders up here that use just hot rocks or heat mats, where as down south most use heated cages and thermastats, i myself just use hot rocks and heat cords between 2 tiles, in summer i turn all heating off as my reptile room gets to around 30 to 34 deg most days and night temps only drop to around the 22 to 28 deg, so i feel i have no need to use them, i know some might not agree but i have done it this way for 4 years and never had a problem, using this method has produced 60 coastal eggs that are cooking at the moment, my adults only had the hot rocks for heat, no other heat or cooling down was done, so i'm interested in seeing what sex ratio i get, it might not mean a thing, i only turn the heat back on at the start of winter, or when night temps start droping below 24 degs

cheers,
steve.......

steve6610 said:
hi neil,
yes make sence, and i agree, what i was wanting to point out is that incubating most likely would have no affect, but maybe the all year weather conditions could have a affect, i know lots of breeders up here that use just hot rocks or heat mats, where as down south most use heated cages and thermastats, i myself just use hot rocks and heat cords between 2 tiles, in summer i turn all heating off as my reptile room gets to around 30 to 34 deg most days and night temps only drop to around the 22 to 28 deg, so i feel i have no need to use them, i know some might not agree but i have done it this way for 4 years and never had a problem, using this method has produced 60 coastal eggs that are cooking at the moment, my adults only had the hot rocks for heat, no other heat or cooling down was done, so i'm interested in seeing what sex ratio i get, it might not mean a thing, i only turn the heat back on at the start of winter, or when night temps start droping below 24 degs

cheers,
steve.......

Hi Steve,
Interesting theory, but I think that it might just be a coincidence in regards to your friends snakes sex ratio's. If you think about it, there would not be any males in the wild in your region if that was the case, either that or the populations will be greatly reduced due to the lack of males.

Congrats on the 60 egg's by the way.

Cheers
Neil

there would not be any males in the wild in your region if that was the case, either that or the populations will be greatly reduced due to the lack of males.

hadn't thought of that, but i didn't say there was none, but just that there was more females then males, and we all know a male can mate with more then one female, in the wild or a captive
but it's something i didn't think of, i guess time will tell,

cheers,
steve.......

Yeah, except it quite often takes many males for one successful mating.

Cheers

i had 20 macs hatch last year , and it turned out to be 5 males 15 females.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back