Something to Tell the Snakephobics???

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Great article. I use much the same techniques when getting people over a fear of snakes, although not quite so technical. I find a little surface instruction, (unless queried in depth,) and a lot of enthusiasm does the job very well. I rarely have someone still too scared to touch a snake after 15 minutes or so of raving about them and showing them off.

I have had the occassional princess scream and go all 'look at me' hysterical about them, all for the attention. I usually just turn my back on these people, direct my information and the snake to the others that are interested and can then snicker quietly to myself when the princesses creep back and pay a little attention to what's going on, rather than expect everyone to be paying attention to them. ;)

Im more interested in the fact that RR is a member of the Deviantart forum.

There is a BIG difference between someone who dislikes / hates snakes and someone who is a phobic.

There's levels of phobias as well. I am phobic of dogs, yet have managed to keep them before. I have a friend who is phobic of moths, he is almost house bound at night. Any phobia can be overcome though.

phobics arent the people who's opinions and actions that need to be changed, more so the hero's and mis-informed.... phobics will only run away from a snake, but the latter whom may kill a snake for no good reason.

peterescue said:
Im more interested in the fact that RR is a member of the Deviantart forum.

Pete, I'm not a member of this forum :lol: , it just came up during a search for avatars, that's all. Thought the article was interesting. Cheers Cheryl

i speak to so many people and tell them i keep python's and straight away they say ah they can kill you cant they because there venomous every school teaches children that there is no difference between pythons and snake's and tell them pythons dont have venom and really cant kill them just constrict. im constantly teaching people the difference between the two lol

I don't know about not belittling the person with the phobia - personally I think doing so is a good thing! Chicken & lily-livered whimp are good ones! :lol: My Mum-in-law won't even look at the snakes because she says she 100% hates them- you can't even mention the word “snake” without her carrying on like a complete imbecile!

I'm not a big one on spiders, but given the right person to explain a little about them to me would indeed diminish some of those pre-conceived ideas I have. I personally believe some people don’t want to be educated about things quite frankly, and sadly these people will hold many of these misdirected fears for the rest of their days. I was scared of things under my bed when I was smaller, then I grew up :lol:

Like a lot of people I had a totally irrational fear of snakes until about 3 moths ago. Although I was petrified of them, they were still a major source of fascination for me. I loved them in a way, but I was s**t scared of them.

One day we were at the Australian Reptile Park and the young girl doing the snake show asked if anyone wanted to hold the snake she was showing. Something came over me and I put my hand up!! The next thing I know I was holding a Ball Python from West Africa!! I can say that moment has changed my life. In an instant my fears vanished and I am now able to appreciate these fantastic creatures for what they are - beautiful animals.

3 months on and we have our own Diamond Python and could not be happier. I'm not about to go bush and start lassooing Taipans but to conquer a truly ingrained fear is an amazing feeling. I guess with some people something just "clicks" and you wonder what the all the fuss was about.

I enjoyed the article - yes I did read it. Cheers.

My wife knows they are harmless (pythons ect.) but that has nothing to do with it, she is no more scared of a hatchling childrens as she is of a five foot brown, she can not tell you even why she is scared of it. The last time someone (not me) She has tried a few times to get over the fear as she finds it embarrasing when she "looses it" at a zoo or someones house. As I hate to see her going through three weeks of nightmares where she wakes up screaming every night, I don't push the subject.................................much.

I think that text offers some great ideas on helping those snake phobias.

Good work for posting it. Will be referring to it next time I meet a totally irrational narrow minded religious freak.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back