South Aus Gecko ID?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Flanders199

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I was given a couple of gecko eggs a whilst back which have hatched very successfully, i was under the impression that they were marbled velvet geckos, but now they have grown slightly i'm doubting it.

Not the best photos but the orange dots up the tail and spine are what's throwing me off, i thought maybe it could just be the locale but i've seen numerous marbled velvets around that area and they look totally different.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Flanders199

Attachments

• Picture 624.jpg
    Picture 624.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 192
  • Picture 683.jpg
    Picture 683.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 147
  • Picture 1060.jpg
    Picture 1060.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 160
Any explanation as to the strange orange markings. Like i said i've got numerous cristinus marmoratus around and they look NOTHING like my hatchlings, they barely even have that marbled velvet suit effect.

Marbled gecko (cristinus marmoratus) used to have a couple that looked just like it.

Yeah after calling a friend who's had some experience with them he said it is definitely Christinus. m Mind you he said he's never seen such nice patterning more so in the sense that the spots are all completely evenly spaced up the tail and how they are all the same size.

Here's hoping they stay like this when they grow up hehe

Yes they are christinus marmoratus

they usually lose the orange dots but sometimes they do stay.

i recently bred me first ones (took me a while!)
http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/australian-lizards-5383/first-ever-gecko-hatchies-d-157580/

Oh WOW! those are beautiful that first one looks EXACTLY like mine, the eyes are what draws me in though there's something mesmerizing about the silver sheen on it.

I totally know what you mean with the breeding taking time, luckily i just had to hatch them but still it took months and i was close to suspecting they were non-fertile.

Marbled geckos are different from marbled velvet geckos :)

haha just when i thought i had it down pat a spanner gets thrown into the works, what is the scientific name for them? (marbled velvet)

no species name for marbled velvet?

Last edited:
The scientific name for marbled velvet geckoes is Oedura marmorata, However there mostly found up north in queensland, NSW and Northern territory. Apparantly theres are population in gluepot in SA though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back