• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Pythons and Snakes and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

South Australian members - READ THIS!!!!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lutzd

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Anyone advertising in the For Sale section of the site MUST comply with the following.

If you have any queries regarding this, pleae contact the writer (details below).

Regional Conservation
Fauna Permits Unit
Ground Floor
1 Richmond Rd
Keswick SA 5035
GPO Box 1782
Adelaide SA 5001
Australia
DX138
Ph: +61 8 8124 4972
Fax: +61 8 8124 4939
www.environment.sa.gov

It has recently been bought to the attention of the Department for Environment and Heritage, that you are currently placing advertisements on your website for native animals for sale from South Australian holders without clearly stating their SA National Parks and Wildlife fauna permit number. Please note that this is an offence under South Australian legislation.

Regulation 12 of the National Parks and Wildlife Regulations 2001 provides that where section 58 of the Act requires that the sale of a protected animal be authorised by a permit granted under that section, a person who advertises the animal for sale must state in the advertisement the number of the permit that authorises that sale.

Section 58 (3) of the National Parks and Wildlife Act, 1972 provides that a person must not sell or give away a protected animal or the carcass or eggs of a protected animal unless authorised to do so by a permit granted by the Minister. The Maximum penalty for this offence is a fine of $2,500

In future you are required to request and clearly state all South Australian Fauna Permit numbers on Adverts before placing them onto your website. If you require further information or wish to discuss this matter further please contact Manager, Sonya Nicholls on 08 8124 4803 or myself on 08 8124 4863

Yours sincerely

Rose-Marie Bredl
Assistant Manager
Fauna Permits Unit

I have spoken with her, nice person.

That rule has been around for ages!

Yeah, me too. I rang her to discuss the letter and she was very friendly and helpful. She was basically interested in ensuring that S.A. members follow the rules of their state, and was happy for the letter to be posted to achieve this.

As good practice we should all be stating our licence/permit numbers in 'For Sale' ads regardless of which state we are from. Just my opinion.

What do other members think?

JungleRob said:
As good practice we should all be stating our licence/permit numbers in 'For Sale' ads regardless of which state we are from. Just my opinion.

What do other members think?

as good practice you should only give your license details to the person to whom you have just made a transaction. A sale permit is a different thing all together.

Why should it matter if another person sees your licence number??

NinaPeas said:
Why should it matter if another person sees your licence number??
Because they could steal your identity :wink:
I agree with Peter though, only give it out to people you've sold/bought from

Well, I would've assumed the SA fauna permits would've thought of this too. A least you know you arebuying from a legal source, and you ca check them out if they seem a bit suspicious.

the SA people are very helpful, I used to be able to get import/export permits in fifteen minutes (HINT to SA members, deliever your applications personally and ask nicely).
I wouldn't be surprised if they are doing a blitz on all websites

Absolutely correct, Fuscus. She told me that they had emailed several websites about the same thing.

Actually, how does that differ to what is being asked by Fauna Permits Unit? Identity can be stolen from those ads too then?

My names actually Jordan :lol:
I don't really know about this letter but i got the impression that its a permit which allows you to sell the animal, not a permit to keep it if that makes sense.

jordo said:
My names actually Jordan :lol:
I don't really know about this letter but i got the impression that its a permit which allows you to sell the animal, not a permit to keep it if that makes sense.
No - you have to give your fauna permit. So they can look as say "hang on, he is licenced to keep orcas". Sales withiin SA just require updating books, no permits required.

Oh, so a permit for say carpet pythons is the same for everyone???

Regardless of what we think is good or bad, the fact is that S.A. members MUST comply with the regulations if they want to keep herps. Therefore they must include the permit number if they want to sell on the site.

i think it could be a good thing, i sold to somebody in s.a. and as it was their first reptile they didn't need or have a licence, all they needed to do was get the import permit, maybe this is why if you sell you must tell your permit number, this is only my thoughts as i don't live in s.a. and am only stating something that i thought about, i checked here and found out i could use the import number instead of a licence number as thats what was legal in s.a. any other members have this happen to them,

cheers,
steve..........

Is she a relative of Joe and Rob Bredl? I remember meeting Joe at his reptile park up in North Queensland in 1990. Very interesting guy-he was happy to show me lots of his hatchling green tree pythons and have a good yarn. They came from SA I believe (well via Hungary!). If she is she is obviously in the right job.
Bob

i bought a carpet from a reptile shop in SA and when it didnt calm down and wrapped around my sons
neck we took it back to them and for them to buy it back i had to apply for a permit to be able to sell it back to them but i didnt need a permit to keep 1 snake but if i wanted to have more than 1 snake then i would need a permit for them and also a permit to sell hope this helps i know this as it happened to me at the shop.
cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back