Southern Angle Headed dragon

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jazza12

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey guys im looking into getting a few of these guys and i was just curious on a few questions.

they dont need heat just the UVA/B 5.0?
they eat dusted meal worms/crickets/woods ect... but how many times a day and how long per feeding?
and 'MISTING' how oftern and how exactly do you mist? do u spray the walls? how many sprays ext...?

Hi Jazza12,

For heating it will depend on where you live and where you house them. If you can keep the temps around 16-25 they'll do great. Its good if it varies abit. I don't need heating where I live 90% of the year but there are a few extreme winter days when the fireplace maybe not burning so I just place a heat mat ontop or underneath for them. They require ambient temps not basking spots.

UV - Yes they do need good source of UV. I use UV tubes .5, and find they do a great job. But its also recommend that on nice days you take them outside for natural light. So an outdoor screen enclosure is a good investment, but don't leave them outside for too long.

Food - adults every second day, hatchlings everyday feed them once per day in the morning or early afternoon, dusted woodies and crickets are better than mealworms but they should be give on occasion...maybe once per week. Keep them off substrate for atleast the first 3-6 months so they don't get any problems. Let them eat as much as they want, they usually become less interest when they get full.

Misting, again depends on your location and temps, but usually every second day if good, unless its extremely hot and you notice the substrate drying out. Remember they are from the rainforest not the desert! I use a pressure sprayer from coles, I mist the plants, branchs, dragons and substrate.

There have been a few issues of Reptiles Australia with caresheets on these guys you should invest in those for a start.

No worries.

If you spend the time getting all the info, and setup things up right you'll have no problems! But invest in a book or the magazines with the caresheets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back