Southern Angle Headed Dragons

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Driake

Reaction score
Hey Everyone im currently in the process of designing an enclosure that will house some Hypsilurus Spinipes that i should be getting soon.

Im pritty right with the dimensions, Just need some ideas on how other people have set theres up.

So if anyone that keeps these little fellas could help me out with some pictures of there dragons and there enclosure set up that would be great!

Thanks In Advance, Brett...

They like height and lots of vertical branches and a large water area to paddle in.
No heating required, just U.V and keep the enclosure a little bit humid.

yeh i do,
no pictures on this computer except for this one.
sorry about its size.

Attachments

3.7 KB · Views: 691
My advice is keep them outside in a shade house with lots of ferns.

I have my pair in a 90cm long 60cm deep and 120 high. i have coir on the bottom covered with leaves several branches and plants including ferns and a waterfall and a large waterbowl. I also have a small shadehouse like contraption that they go in for one week per month that has a few plants in it to keep the humidity stable

So they need no heating at all? What about really cold times in winter??'

I live in SA and it does get very cold even inside here.

How much do these fellas go for???

Hi Mertle
Southern angle headed rainforest dragons occur naturally in the rainforests of SE Qld as the name suggests
If in doubt of the tmeperatures to keep them.... go to Weatherzone.com.au. and look for annul weather temps. in Lamington Nat.Park, SE Qld.
That should give you a guide as to the preferred temperatures to keep these amazing little animals.
Hope this helps
Sandee :)

Hi Mertle
Southern angle headed rainforest dragons occur naturally in the rainforests of SE Qld as the name suggests
If in doubt of the tmeperatures to keep them.... go to Weatherzone.com.au. and look for annul weather temps. in Lamington Nat.Park, SE Qld.
That should give you a guide as to the preferred temperatures to keep these amazing little animals.
Hope this helps
Sandee :)
I found one of these little guys the other day at work sunny himself on the road had to get him of as he would have got squished and they occur alot further south than QLD.The temperature are below freezing where i found him in winter.

fiscis(dont no how to spell it) palms lilys you can basically use any plants you want as they are carnivrous lizards. they like a 70-80 % humidity and the plants keep this stable through transpiration

Mertle
they go for 100-180 and i supply heat in winter through a small 40 watt globe on a air condidioning thermostat (got it for free) set at 24. but you could just apply a slight amount of heat say from a 20 watt glove and they will remain active. if no heat is supplied they tend to sulk and go off their food

pic, plants are bigger and greener now(had a small cotastrophy with over watering) Its a bit darker than what the pic shows with flash on

Last edited:
They are found from the central coast NSW to SE Queensland associated with rainforest habitats of the eastern escarpments of the great Dividing Range. They will feed at temps as low as 18 degrees. In the rainforest temps are buffered. They tend to prefer temps for feeding at around 24-28 degrees and a high humidity. Once established and grown on they thrive in outdoor enclosures that mimic the rainforest. They do not bask but at this time of year females seek sunny areas within the rainforest (fire trails etc) to lay their eggs. What they hate is a dry hot environment that most herps as found in the average herpers room. It is difficult to find the balance in indoor set ups around keeping the temps down in summer, the humidity up, and give ventilation although many succeed. An outdoor enclosure is easier to set up around these parameters although you wont see them May to end of August. Without airconditioning a hot summer day can easily wipe them out indoors.....

and I forgot to say blakeblake has done an excellent job with his.

Thanks for the pics BlakeBlake, Enclosure looks awesome.

Cheers for all that information Bob, Whats the lowest temperature they can withstand outdoors before youd have to provide heat to jack it back up to 24-28?

use tree ferns, bird nest ferns, air plant, those palm tree like ones, (i might find a pic) and i will get you afew others

Oh thanks alot luke,
Im going to call into a nursery tomorow and have a look around, Ill make sure i keep a look out for those types. Pictures would be awesome thanks for that :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back