Southern Angle Headed Keepers Brisbane or Warmer climates

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Snakeluvver2

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
How do you keep these guys cool in the summer? In brissy it can get to the higher 30's at times and this species dont really like anyhting above 30 constantly.
Are they ok with the hotter temperatures during day as long as the night is fairly cool?
Do some of your guys use a simple cooling alternative such as bottle of ice in the enclosure? Keeping the fan on all day perhaps
Any other techniques for cooling them down?
Cheers

I'm going to throw it out there and say... Air con.
Its how i keep everything cool up here. without cooling 6 hours of the day is 35+ inside the enclosures in wet season.

it's cool.
---------

Last edited by a moderator:
I know several people who keep them with great success in outdoor enclosure. The enclosure are comprised mainly (or entirely) of shadecloth, and never receive direct sunlight. They are also kept on a damp substrate to increase humidity and often have a water feature of some sort.

Kept them for years out doors all year in Sydney in a shade house like Jonno describes. They cope on really hot days by getting into the ferns. The natural transpiration of the plants keeps them from pegging out.

Just mist them a few times. And make sure they can get away from the Heat (by ferns etc like Bob said).

sweet buying some ferns tomorrow
Setting up the enclosure now.
False bottom created by river pebbles with a sheet of fly screen to keep the coir from going through.
Water feature is just a small pond which is filtered and a water fall to create some humidity.
fresh water crustaceans to help keep the water clean.
And of course a UV light over the top
Making branches and logs from styro foam and natural ones as well.
What type of ferns?????
Please be specific

i agree with jonno. outdoor enclosures are the way to go. i also keep all my boyds under the same
conditions and they thrive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back