Southern Forest Dragon

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

danw

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone knows how long Southern Forest Dragons live for and how big they get? as I can't find this information on the internet.
Thanks

I keep a cpl, absolutely great dragons to keep. That care sheet is a good one though it led me to the belief that they shouldn't require any heating, which may be wrong depending where you live. I was later told(thanx mags :wink: ) to keep them at around 25 deg, and since doing so they have been thriving. They are not large but have quite chunky heads, and are not extremely active, just like hanging off branches all day and pigging out on insects.

Thanks everyone so much for all your useful information. :)

I have a seven year old fremale, and the parents to this female are still alive approx 13 years old, we have bred these drgons for the last seven years and they are my fav's great animals.

Good to know Marc. I have two that are 18 months and one at 4 years.
Kept properly they breed like rabbits.
My 4 year old has had 5 clutches so far (31 eggs) and is working on her 6th.

thats alot mine is 3 clutches for 25 eggs, is yours NSW or Qld form?

Does anyone know how to sex the hatchlings of the Southern Forest Dragon?

Agamidae, do you have any hatchies coming from unrelated parents to the cpl i got from you?
danw, it seems to be very hard to reliably sex them til they are 6 months or so.

Qld form that one.
I sold some hatchies recently that would have been about 2 months old. When I got them out of the tub to hand them over, you could see clear as a bell male colouring on one and female colouring on the other.
Dan, you could do the hemipenal bulge method, but they really are a small hatchy.
Parko, hows yours looking? Got a pair?

I think so mags, one has some nice green/yellow dots on the cheeks and sortta getting speckley on the rib cage area, sounds female yeah? The other confuses me cause it still has a bit of colour to it but nothing like the other so i'm thinking maybe male, but possibly a late blooming female... I might email you some pics soon mags and see what you think.

well, Magpie you have a better eye than me, and would not surgest they were either male or female until at least 8 months of age, same with any dragons......I have found that the juv will change coloration several times in a year......and it is my oppion that sexing spinipes at two months old is impossible....I have males that are as colourful as females, they do have hemipene bolges, however the female also show a large bolge. What would you say the juv on my avatar was male or female??? (I still have it)

I'm thinking a male......and yes it is possible to sex spinipes at birth (2 weeks after) but not with coloration.

I have to agree with you marc no positive ID judging by coulouration at young age under 6 months

insectovor said:
I'm thinking a male......and yes it is possible to sex spinipes at birth (2 weeks after) but not with coloration.

So how is it done Insectovor? Pls share your knowledge with us as it is an interesting subject.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back