Spear fishing Bluefin Tuna

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Love my game/offshore fishing, looking forward to marlin up at port Stephens soon.
Mostly target marlin over summer and yellowfin and makos over winter/spring
with a few gem fish and blue eye off the bottom for eating.

Is it classified as a critically endangered species or not?
BTW, I know what the majority of recreational fishermen and hunters are like. They are full of it. Sure, theres a lot of people doing the right thing but only as far as suits them.

Last edited by a moderator:
BTW, I know what the majority of recreational fishermen and hunters are like. They are full of it. Sure, theres a lot of people doing the right thing but only as far as suits them.

Seriously? How could a recreational fisherman even begin to put a dent in fish populations?

The Northern species aren't endangered. I don't know what species is in the video or the photos but I'd think a rec fisherman would be pretty unlikely to come across Southerns

The Northern species aren't endangered. I don't know what species is in the video or the photos but I'd think a rec fisherman would be pretty unlikely to come across Southerns
WE get the SBT's (SOUTHERN BLUES) here just about every year...just how far your willing to travel to get them usually between 40-65kms out..

In regards to rec anglers putting a dent in the population that's rubbish, Most are tag and release.. I know of at least 100 tagged last season...Bluefin quotas by pro fisherman are usually finished not long after the season starts therefore they are making a comeback..2 local boats here only fished for 2mths and quota was done. Pretty sure the quota is or was 10 tonne each boat

So being a rec fisho, are we full of it when we use circle hooks to ensure good release/survival rates? Or is it when we place a tag in the fish and record the data and send it back to fisheries? These are commonplace with a lot of rec fishos, look at the stats from any major tournament and you will see the number of fish weighed these days is minimal

When the blue fin are running down here (portland) it is disgusting to see the number of dead and decaying fish left behind and totally wasted. They catch em, get a photo for bragging rights and then discard the fish. I admit not everyone does it but enough to be a problem do. A bit more catch and release would be good.

When the blue fin are running down here (portland) it is disgusting to see the number of dead and decaying fish left behind and totally wasted. They catch em, get a photo for bragging rights and then discard the fish. I admit not everyone does it but enough to be a problem do. A bit more catch and release would be good.

That's Disappointing to hear, Although I don't approve of this I am sure it still doesn't compare to Pro Fisherman quotas ..

Aussie-Pride do you spear as well or did you just name the thread that because of the video? Are there any other spearos on here? I'm just getting into it and freakin love it.

i spear fish i have a Mares Cyrano 700 but i would like to get a 970 :)

Turn it up Peter, you're not a stupid bloke. The people doing the damage to tuna populations are the Japanese fishing fleets. Not the recreational fisherman that keep two or three fish for food.

Mate, can u please piss off and let everyone enjoy the thread.

Turn it up Peter, you're not a stupid bloke. The people doing the damage to tuna populations are the Japanese fishing fleets. Not the recreational fisherman that keep two or three fish for food.

No, I'm not a stupid bloke so when someone tells me how recreational sportsmen are doing it for the environment I say...

My first post stands. If you have a problem with it then good, it at least made you think. My second post was a wind up but rereading it I think its pretty much true.

No, I'm not a stupid bloke so when someone tells me how recreational sportsmen are doing it for the environment I say...

My first post stands. If you have a problem with it then good, it at least made you think. My second post was a wind up but rereading it I think its pretty much true.

I'm not going to argue with you enough has been said. If you don't like it take it up with fisheries and go tell them how you feel I'm sure they will say the same things that you have already been told.

I didn't say they were doing it for the environment i said they -probably- do more for the conservation of this species than the pro's do.

For a species to be conserved in a developed nation the first thing it needs is to be valued and valued by the right people.

I'm not from the southern states, but i know that in the NT most of the current changes to fishing regulations were proposed by the recreational fisher groups. Things like smaller bag limits and guidlines for targetting different species all came from the weekend fishers. And those who don't follow the rules are usually dobbed in by other rec fishers.

We don't do it for the environment, but we do recognise the need to look after our environment otherwise we won't be able to do all these things that we enjoy.

i spear fish i have a Mares Cyrano 700but i would like to get a 970 :)

Nice what species do you spear over that way? I've got a JBL Elite magnum that was my first gun and Beuchat Marlin Revolution Speargun 1050 both for open water spearing and I've got a Rob Allen zulu Carbon 110 for reef and inshore.

A very generalised statement Peter. Do you have evidence to back this up?
The MAJORITY of fishermen and women I know do the right thing and follow the rules.
Plenty of us also go that little bit further than the rules (some legal sized fish seem too small so they go back, keeping the entire bag limit of bigger species seems too much so we restrict how many we take, females with obvious & suspected signs of eggs go back).

How do you know what the MAJORITY of recreational fishermen are like?

Love my game/offshore fishing, looking forward to marlin up at port Stephens soon.
Mostly target marlin over summer and yellowfin and makos over winter/spring
with a few gem fish and blue eye off the bottom for eating.

Nice one,what baits you put down for makos of Sydney..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back