Spencers and Gouldii

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jbowers

Reaction score
Hey,

I know I posted a question like this a while off, but I am still a little undecided, and think I should just ask a few really specific questions about your general experience.

What enclosure size would you recommend for housing a single adult Spencers monitor? Same question for a Gould's monitor.

Which monitor is generally less afraid of humans?

Which one has a stronger, more exciting feeding response?

Which one is more likely to hide a lot of the time?

Are either of them particularly dangerous to handle? (I understand they are powerful animals and will wear gloves when I do need to occasionally handle them).

I also realise these are huge generalisations, but I just thought I'd get some opinions on this before I make any plans in the future.

Thanks.

i dont own a gouldii so i cant comment on them but my spencers is great.reluctant to bite ,great feeding responce ,great to handle,love their basking so they are always out in the open till bed time and not afraid of humans.the most they seem to do is a hiss and a tail whip. they dont climb well so they need floor space,minumum of about 3 meters by 1 meter but the more,the better.
in my opinion ,a fantastic monitor to own.
cheers
simon

Hey,

I know I posted a question like this a while off, but I am still a little undecided, and think I should just ask a few really specific questions about your general experience.

What enclosure size would you recommend for housing a single adult Spencers monitor? Same question for a Gould's monitor.
Around 4x2m+ floor space IMO
Which monitor is generally less afraid of humans? Spencers
Which one has a stronger, more exciting feeding response? Spencers, although both have a strong feeding response a spencers is more tanky.
Which one is more likely to hide a lot of the time? both, but a spencers montior is more likely to adapt better while sandies are usually more shy.Are either of them particularly dangerous to handle? (I understand they are powerful animals and will wear gloves when I do need to occasionally handle them).

Sandies are fairly small and are much weaker, they can still give a nasty bite but dont have anything near the strength of a large spencers monitor. While spencers arnt very bitey it would really ruin your day if it ate your fingers or something :lol:
I also realise these are huge generalisations, but I just thought I'd get some opinions on this before I make any plans in the future.
Thanks.

Cris would you say a gouldii gouldii needs as much as a spencers given they are quite a bit smaller? Also bump for more thoughts!

v.gouldii flavirufus get about 3-4 foot, gouldii gouldii and spencers can get around 4-5 foot but spencers are bulky and has a shorter tail.
i find spencers to be more like a bearded dragon (just sit around) when handled and goulds to be like water dragons ( always on the go and trying to get out of your hands).

Right. Could someone please give an example of what a typical gouldii and flav look like? Google images is being confusing.

this is a flavi, they come from the central part of the range. i dont have a pic of a goulds but they tend to be darker and have a diffrent pattern with strong banding on the tail.
016.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back