spencers monitor

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

scorps

Hello everyone,

I have decided my next addition will be a spencers monitor hatchling, I have an enclosure here thats 1300 long, 1200 high and 700 wide, will that be ok for him as a hatchy or is it to big?

How long roughly will he be able to stay in an enclosure that size before he needs to be upgraded to a bigger enclosure?

I have been informed that they need a really hot basking site, what roughly should the surface temp be of the basking site?

For feeding i have been told mince as adults but a variety of mince and live food for young monitors

Have also been told they eat fruit and vegies?

Any other information greatly appreciated

Scorps

Last edited by a moderator:
They dont eat fruit or vegies. Altternate foods. Say meat, rats. Also they eat insects.

If you plan to get a monitor, do some research into what they need.

They dont eat fruit or vegies. Altternate foods. Say meat, rats. Also they eat insects.

If you plan to get a monitor, do some research into what they need.

DonnB, dont need to be rude but obviously by wrighting this thread and asking all of those questions and searching these forums and the internet I would consider that research, the thread doesnt say help I just bought a monitor and It doest eat it is me researching and trying to exspand my knowledge as much as posible

Ben

Heat spot 50-70 degrees.
Food: insects, inverts, small lizards (AHG) as hatchlings as they get larger pinkys and rodents. I supplement all my monitors with calcium and D3 powder.
Adults anything that they can fit into their mouth I guess. I've heard that whole animals are a better food source. Chicken, quail, rodents.

Thank you Antmisk and Jannico

Heat spot 50-70 degrees.
Food: insects, inverts, small lizards (AHG) as hatchlings as they get larger pinkys and rodents. I supplement all my monitors with calcium and D3 powder.
Adults anything that they can fit into their mouth I guess. I've heard that whole animals are a better food source. Chicken, quail, rodents.

As stated, whole food over meats anyday and I'd stay away from the AHG's, unless their from a known parasite free source. Mine always preferred chopped up adult mice and quail over insects. And use several flood lights up one end of the enclosure rather than a large spot globe (to avoid thermal burns).

I wouldent suggest feeding live food for spencers monitors there is no need to, like most varanids spencers monitors have a verry strong food response and the ones that don't will gladley eat dead if left alone.... just make sure there heat reaches a minimum of 60c

And i can assure u they dont eat or need fruit and veg.

For feeding i have been told mince as adults but a variety of mince and live food for young monitors

Have also been told they eat fruit and vegies?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back