Spider ID please

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It looks a lot like a Melbourne Trap-door (Stanwellia sp to me. Did you get a look at its web by any chance? Melbourne Trap-doors do not have a door or lid on their web (stupid name I guess). They are very common around Melbourne and are harmless as far as I know.

It is definitely not a funnel web of any sort.

I'd have to say it was a Tarantula of some description. Not sure as to what type due to it being a juvenile but a Tarantula all the same.

Some type of trapdoor. Definitely not a tarantula, wolf spider or mouse spider. I don't think it is a funnelweb either..

Well come on moosenoose - have you sent the picture into the museum yet for identification?

yup, its 100% a mature male, not a funnelweb, mousey or T. Funnelweb for sure

Some type of mygalomorph...not really familiar with Melbourne spiders but could be a male Trapdoor or a Wishbone spider Aname(false funnelweb)...though not sure of its distribution.

Definately not a wolf or mouse spider.

Its a Mouse Spider (aka Victorian Funnel Web),
The get to about 2 thirds the size as their Sydney cousins.

I get them here in the garden every now and then.

Its a Mouse Spider (aka Victorian Funnel Web),
The get to about 2 thirds the size as their Sydney cousins.

I get them here in the garden every now and then.

Mouse Spiders and Victorian Funnel Webs are two different typesof spider. Both are megalomorphs, but from different genuses.

I have a picture in"spider watch" byBert Brunet on page 83 of a male Arbanitis Gracilis(trapdoor Brown Common) with a body length of 23mm which look extremely similiar except for the pronounced spinnerets. Maybe its just the angle of the shot. thats my guess.:D

I am starting to think it may be a trapdoor other than a Melbourne trapdoor (Stanwellia). The patterns on the back don't seem right. Definitely a trapdoor though. It would also be rare to find a Melbourne trapdoor that was that aggressive - they are usually pussy cats.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back