Spider ID

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

r3ptilian

Reaction score
I have just returned from a few days in the Vic Mallee (herp pics to come later in another thread) and found a nasty lookin spider.
I found him while trying to catch a small skink in some ground cover, the skink ran down its hole and knowing it was a spider hole not a skink hole I decided to shine a torch down to check it out. I was greeted by the eyeshine and large fangs of this guy/girl. Upon excavation this is what I found. Anyone know what it is?DSC_7199.jpgDSC_7239.jpgDSC_7225.jpgDSC_7211.jpg

It isnt a Wolf as there is no destinctive union jack markings on its back but maybe it could be a huntsman?

My guess (yes just guess!!) by the way it is raring up would be a funnel web.

Its not a Funnel. The fangs are a give away. Funnel's are "new world spiders", i.e Fangs are striking (downward pointing) where the spider in the pics have pincer fangs. Huntsmans and Wolf spiders are" old world spiders".

I have just returned from a few days in the Vic Mallee (herp pics to come later in another thread) and found a nasty lookin spider.
I found him while trying to catch a small skink in some ground cover, the skink ran down its hole and knowing it was a spider hole not a skink hole I decided to shine a torch down to check it out. I was greeted by the eyeshine and large fangs of this guy/girl. Upon excavation this is what I found. Anyone know what it is?View attachment 234100View attachment 234103View attachment 234102View attachment 234101

Whatever it is - I don't like it!

I think you'll find it in the Olios genus. Its not a wolf.

I don't think it's a huntsman based on the eyes. Not sure of the technical term, but the formation of them is not typical huntsman.

It does look.like a wolf, just without the markings. The 2 then 4 eye set up is the same as my wolf spiders.

Maybe you've discovered a RPM wolf! Haha. Now you'll have to breed it and sell hatchies to get the morph established

Agreed, wolf spider 100%. Their patterns vary across Oz, Mallee form.

I still think Olios. If I'm wrong then I'll just have to go and sulk a little :)

Definetly a wolf spider. Colorsand patterns vary and species do as well. This one i have seen many times and is classified as a wolf.

I'm going with a hungry spider
Not any more!

Lycosidae. The nearest I can place it to is the Beach Wolf Spider Tetralycosa oraria.

So have got a nice quite spot picked out Beard? Huntsman (Heteropodidae) also have eight eyes, two rows of four all at the front. They are all fairly similar in size although the spacing in the top and lower rows may vary a little. A good indicator for this group is the length of the legs compared to the body length and the first three pair of legs will almost invariably be angled forward when at rest on a flat surface. Hope that helps a bit.

Blue

Not any more!

Lycosidae. The nearest I can place it to is the Beach Wolf Spider Tetralycosa oraria.

So have got a nice quite spot picked out Beard? Huntsman (Heteropodidae) also have eight eyes, two rows of four all at the front. They are all fairly similar in size although the spacing in the top and lower rows may vary a little. A good indicator for this group is the length of the legs compared to the body length and the first three pair of legs will almost invariably be angled forward when at rest on a flat surface. Hope that helps a bit.

Blue

I figured the eye thing out after Khagan posted and I went off and pulled a few books out. I then picked my spot out Blue :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back