Spider identification required

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AccadaccA

Reaction score
Hi I have this spider as a pet for over a month now. She is nested above my couch in a pyramid shaped web between my ceiling, wall, curtain and computer tower. I live in the Ipswich area of south east Queensland. It was half the size a month ago but I catch and feed her flies every day. I say "she" as she has had two other spiders in her web which she has killed and eaten.

My first thoughts were "red back" but then her head started to become more white and her body isn't rounded but rather pyramid looking (high on the back) with straight flat sides. She also keeps her web clean unlike red backs.

I'm sorry these photos are blurry (zoomed on phone camera).
Image1.jpgImage2.jpg

Any help appreciated, thank you.

Here's another shot I just took to show what I mean about the shape of her back.

Image3.png

Again, sorry about the poor quality.

Last edited:
Not great pics.
Try looking up some pics of Nephila sp

looks like Argiope keyserlingi/A. aethera/ but the body looks off, not sure

Thank you all for your replies.

Geckoman: I have many Garden Orbs (even been bitten on the neck by one) so I've seen them up close. Orbs have round webs and (to me) the shape of this spider is totally different let alone the colouring. Although the front garden is full of Orbs I have live here 19 years and never once seen an Orb inside. There isn't any part of this web that is even remotely circular or curved.

CHEWY: Sorry, I know the pics are terrible. I've just taken more photos without zoom and they aren't any better. Nokia E71, I just bought it to make phone calls and text.

Image4.png

Crimson: The "St. Adrews Cross" was another thought I had a few weeks ago however she never places her rear legs together to form the cross and again her web is not round in any way shape or form.

Fuscus: Cheers, I have found that site in the extensive searches I have have done over the weeks. I have even emailed the site's author Ron Atkinson. I've directed him to this thread as my photos wouldn't attach to the email.

If it helps, her back comes up to a flat point (like the edge of a dice) the white part of her is angled approximately 90 degrees from the red part. With markings that look like a big eye on each corner. Her tail-end doesn't look as round in person as it does in the photos.

Thanks again for your replies everyone.

I've just fed her to get her closer to the phone/camera but the pics are still blurry. Sorry.
If it helps: her body (not including her legs) is now about 4 to 5 cm long. She is mainly black with large red and white markings.

Image6.pngImage7.png

Anyone with a decent camera in the Ipswich area is welcome to come and take some clear photos. Contact me for details.

Last edited:
Any chance of getting pictures of the web?

Cyrtophora moluccensis would be my next guess as the body shape is very similiar

Crimson: I have tried but the web doesn't show in any of my photos. I even made the room dark and shone a torch on the web (looked cool) but the photo still didn't show the web well enough.

Geckoman: It appears you were correct. I received a reply email from Ron Atkinson saying the same.

Dear Rob,

The spider in your photos is a female orb weaver with the scientific name of Cyrtophora moluccensis. Adults of this species are common around South Queensland at this time of the year. Although little or no testing has been done on their venom as yet, there is no reason to believe they are dangerous to humans. The fact that they are relatively easy to find but no one seems to get bitten (or at least made ill) by them is an indication that they do not need to be exterminated when found.

Ron Atkinson

Also known as the "Tent Spider" because of the web shape.
Thank you all again for your input, much appreciated.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back