spider pic!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

reptilegirl_jordan

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
just wanted to show a pic of this really cute spider that has made its home right infront of our letter box for the last 3 weeks now,i dont know what it is, so if anyone knows could u let me know
thanks enjoy its a stunner!
100_1648.jpg

Last edited:
yeh.. are they venomous/dangerous? i have heaps around my house and occasionally see the odd gecko or skink eating one..

They are venomous but will only give you a Bad Ache for a week or so But dont bother picking them up!

they are beautiful.ill b moving him and about 30 other spiders soon to the bushland, mums going to get someone to spray the house and i dont want them to die..lol

yeh philK i go out and get the mail everyday(noone will now cause of him,and i wont let mum kill him) and i just pop my hand over him to get the mail and he doesnt really seem to care!

love those! we have them everywhere. st andrews cross spider.

very pretty :D

and if my mum were to spray, i would kill her for it! (not really ppl, i love my mum) coz of all my animals! (spiders, centipede, snake etc etc)

i would be saving everything too lol

Yep, it's a St Andrew's Cross. (Garden orbs have a way fatter body and are more brown) If you bump their web, they shake it and look really scary. I guess it's a defense mechanism to avoid being eaten! We have loads of them around our back door and we leave them there all summer (much to my mum's disgust) because they are great as a mozzie net/insect trap to stop nasty bugs from coming into the house!

as a kid we used to have a garden full of them, would spend half the summer catching flies to feed to the little guys.

Just for fun drop a live fly into its web and watch how quickly they can wrap prey. Watch carefully or you will miss it.
Truly facinating.

No efence to the all the people that love spiders but YUK! I don't like spiders but i DO let them live, after all they are part of nature. My mum agrees and we both don't like them but they are pretty amazing when we look up close.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back