Split from for sale. Wiring.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Greebo

Snakologist
Reaction score
All electrical fittings should only be wired up by a qualified electrician. If an enclosure caused a fire in your house, your insurance would be void.

No offense Greebo but are you saying that you get an electrician to wire a light fitting ? I think it would be possible to train a monkey to wire up one of these. If I had an electrician wire up every cage I have ever built I would have spent a fortune. All it takes is a little common sense. I'm not saying people shouldn't have an electrician do it but to me it's a little like having a plumber change a tap washer for $50.

but with bad wiring it can cause short circiut that can fry circuit boards then it'll cost you more, thought you have to be unlucky. The current safety switch may save u but you would still get a qulified sparky in to do a check it will cost about $150 thats normal call out fee plus bit extra but worth it you have more then 3 cages to check the wiring and you will get the extra securtiy knowing that IF something did happen then THAT sparky will be the 1 in hot water

I realise that bad wiring can cause problems and I know some people that shouldn't be allowed to own a screwdriver let alone use one but $150 plus to check a bit of wiring !!! We are talking about putting (usually) 2 wires into a light fitting and screwing the grub screw in.
I would be interested to know just how many people do their own wiring, I would suggest the majority ?

lol boa, have to agree it aint rocket science - i wire all my own.

also, what i do is buy an extension cord and a spare plug - i chop the extension cord in half -use half for the enclosure and make another extension cord with the spare plug.

No offense Greebo but are you saying that you get an electrician to wire a light fitting ? I think it would be possible to train a monkey to wire up one of these
I did not say it is difficult to wire up a lightbulb but have you ever had your house burn down because I have. (No, not from an enclosure). Insurance companies will seek out any possible reason to avoid a pay out, that is the point I was making.
Fortunately, I DO have access to an Electrician at work and all my cages are tagged & legal.

That's the way Greebo. It's not worth the risk with insurance companies. All my cages have been wired by an electrician. :)

also, what i do is buy an extension cord and a spare plug - i chop the extension cord in half -use half for the enclosure and make another extension cord with the spare plug.

ad, keep an eye out for your clean up days and then go around with a pair of side cutters and chop off all the electrical cords you need. That's what I do.

I wire up all my enclosures as well. It really isn't hard and I can't see how an insurance company could prove that you did it anyway.

I own an Electircal Contracting Company, we see potentialyl deadly wiring every day from people who think its a peice of cake, its not just about getting it to work, theres more to it than i care to explain here, spend the money, it could be your life or your loved ones....

As for the insurance thing, it is far easier than you think to pick a bodgy job from a professional job even after the fire is out.
Cable Sizes, Cable types, Installation Methods, Protective Devices, Load Characteristics, theres more to it than you think, its not just a cable and a globe.
The biggest cause of household fires is faulty electrical wiring and appliances.
Worst case: If you insist on wiring things yourself, get an Electrician to check it and offer some advice.
It shouldnt cost much, in the big scheme of things.
I would charge $45 plus GST locally for an inspection like that. any more than $60 and your getting ripped off.
If there was work to be done or changes to be made or it took longer than an hour it will cost more, especially if they provide materials.

got off subject a bit there huh
maybe not "switch" its still a valid thing that has been said after all I wouldn't trust anyone to wire up any of my enclosures without certification and having it tagged. The reasurance that the job is done correctly and knowledge that the family will be safe if a surge happens; or exposed wires which a child may touch. These thing need to be reconigesed by pretty much everyone on this site cause you DON"T get second chance I have heard of people getting elecrocuted by tring to save cost be doing it themselve, so I don't see why getting a sparky in too inspector or wire the cage up..

well, considering that wiring doesnt just mean light globes (thermostats, globe extensions, triple and quad fittings, heat lamps) it is a good idea to maybe have a qualified electrician to go over your own work. Yes its a piece of cake to fit a light globe - and i do all of my own electrical work after having an electrician wire up my first bank ($150), and watching him, making sure i could understand why and where he did what, and copying the exact same techniques to all the others i have fitted. Basic after a while but still get a check every couple of years or so. That way you can have a professional set up (cos really, fitting them isnt rocket science) as well as having the OK from a qualified sparky and also having cover from the insurance scabs (maybe with a little fib or two involved). hehe. JMO.

another point is that the wiring is the main light and heating sourse for the reptiles and I doubt that any would risk thier health to save a few dollars

Wiring is not the only problem, if the aim is to heat enclosures you'll need to know the right stuff that is rated for the purpose, shielding or required spacing.

(cos really, fitting them isnt rocket science)

Exactly right MrK, but if you don not know what you are doing then you should always get someone to show you. You can get all the advice in the world but you can be shown and have it explained much easier.

So even though I do my own wiring, I was shown by a mate who is a sparky. I already new how, but just to make sure I showed him what I did. I can even tag them myself if I want too. Another mate has got a tester for tagging elec. equipment and said he would show me how to do it. So I would be covered either way.

One of my best mate's (who is actually about 20 years older than me), and the guy that got me into reptiles, is a qualified electrician and does all my wiring.

If you wanted to wire up a thermostate the IMIT type, how would you do it. Of course I will get a qualified electrician to check it, my brothers one.

PM me.

There was a famous case here on the Central Coast a few years back. A local man wired up some outside lights near his swimming pool area. Well to cut a long story short a guest was electrecuted and died at a party the man held. He is now in jail on manslaughter charges. Be aware of not only insurance problems, but legal problems as well :shock:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back