Spotted Python Extremely Scared

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sorryboss

Reaction score
So about a week ago i bought my first snake which is a 1 year old spotted python. I fed him on monday ( With alot of trouble getting him into the box i feed him in) and he did eat.

Now the problem is that whenever I just come near the viv or touch him he goes crazy looking for a hiding spot and then hides for about 5 minutes. ( This is not trying to pick him up, just lightly touching his middle)

How do i get him to be friendly and not deathly scared of me?!

Without trying to blunt, leave it alone.

A python with a feed in it's belly does not want to be disturbed nor does it need to be. It's also had a large change in it's environment given you've only bought it a week ago. Let it settle in for a bit and see how things go.

Some pythons will always be flighty no matter what you do. Others will be different. And their are no real methods to convince one to be one way or the other.

Without trying to blunt, leave it alone.

A python with a feed in it's belly does not want to be disturbed nor does it need to be. It's also had a large change in it's environment given you've only bought it a week ago. Let it settle in for a bit and see how things go.

Some pythons will always be flighty no matter what you do. Others will be different. And their are no real methods to convince one to be one way or the other.

I fed him Monday morning, and did not disturb him at all until Wednesday night, as far as ive read 48 hours is the time you should give them to digest?

But yes i think i will leave him alone until next feeding day, just cleaning the water bowl and nothing else.

Thanks for the reply

Yes it may be a good idea to keep handling to the bare minimum until he is settled and used to your presences.

I would also not bother trying to feed him in a different box. By what you said you had difficulty doing it last time. There is no need to put him on a different box.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Yep, just leave him be for a few weeks at least, (except for feeding and water change) and even then, just feed him in the enclosure. If he is in a heavy traffic area, you can also cover the front of the enclosure so he doesn't feel threatened.
Does he have enough hides? He will take a while to settle in, then you can try to handle him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back