Spotted Python - need a license?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RenShen

Reaction score
Hi all,

Have lived in Australia for 4 years now and have just got a baby spotted python. We had reptiles in the UK, including corn snakes which we bred so I'm OK on the husbandry side of things. I think.

I do have a question about licensing though please. We are in Queensland, do I need a license for this snake? I've done a quick search but none of the search results have been species specific.

Thanks
Ren

You need a licence yes for any reptile in any state. Where did you buy the spotted python? The person that sold or gave it to you should of told you about the licence.

Sounds like the seller took advantage of the lack of knowledge, wouldn't be surprised if the seller has no license. When you apply for your license and add your snake hopefully it won't be an issue for you.

You need a licence yes for any reptile in any state. Where did you buy the spotted python? The person that sold or gave it to you should of told you about the licence.

I'm not sure this is correct but I could be wrong. Does anyone know for sure?

Thanks for the replies. I understand where you are coming from totally. A friend's daughter got the snake from a "breeder" fairly local. Although, I understand that they had exotics there "unofficially" so I do not think that this breeder is legit. She paid $80 for it and I would say its around 1 month old. I fed it last night and its eating well.

She got it against her parent's wishes and hid it in the cupboard for a week before they found out - and went nuclear. The snake was then homeless. We had been looking into buying a snake or a lizard so we offered to take it.

I really don't want to go down the track of finding the details of this dodgy place but I would like to register the snake if that is the law.

Do you think I would be asked questions about where I got it?

May well depend on the person you speak to on the day. Hopefully common sense will win out and you'll be allowed to put it on license but you may be asked some awkward questions in the process.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back