spotted python not well

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

butcha1

Reaction score
i have just fed my python and he didnt eat like he normally would it took him ages to get down and he normally smashes 2 mice and when i went to give him the second one he struggled to open his mouth, and it as like his mouth was stuck and could only open one side at a time plus it would not strike the mouse he just grabbed at it and would not eat it.. any ideas??

thanks Brenton

Could you provide more information for example his temps/hides/enclosure size. Could he have gotten his lips caught on his teeth during the first feed?

Well he was eating so I wouldn't wry... They can have jaw realignment issues but they usually clear up quite quick... Don't fret just yet ... Take a look tomoz and I bet its fine

his enclosure is about 50 cm(L) 20 cm(D) 20cm(H) he has one small cave, he is about 30 cm long, and the temp is between 28 to 30 celsuius

Snakes dislocate their jaw to eat which could explain the mouth issues. Sometimes snakes will randomly take longer to eat a meal. This may be due to a number of factors. Sometimes mine smash a second one and sometimes they take it softly. Sometimes they just don't want a second one. As stated earlier if all looks physically fine now don't fret.

30C may be a bit cool - try upping the temp to around 33C. As others have said, feeding responses can be quite inconsistent - I have Roughies here which sometimes smash their food, at other times they're just not interested, and this can be for up to 8-10 weeks. Nothing to worry about.

Jamie

They do what now?

you may have heard the term 'unhinge'. You know how they sort of chew and yawn after a meal that's them putting their jaw back into place. If they couldn't unhinge their jaw they would not be able to eat items several times the size of their head.

No your right Lawra they can't un-hinge their jaw they can just open it really wide because of their quadrate bone(I think that's what it's called) and they have a split jaw which stretches.

Last edited:
[MENTION=27969]reaver[/MENTION] I knew I wasn't crazy! You've also given me something specific to research, thank you :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back