spotted python throat puffing up like a bull frog??

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KayaD

Reaction score
hi my spotted pythons has been puffing his throat out like a bullfrog i was wondering if anyone could tell me if this was normal or if i should be worried or not? any help will be very much apreciated thanks =)

How long have you noticed this problem? Can you take a pic of the animal and inclouser. It would make helping you a bit easier cheers

Kaya - some info about the temps in the enclosure and pictures would really help everyone. Throat puffing can mean a respiratory infection. Other signs would be a wheezing or clicking noise when breathing or even mucous around the mouth. Given that he is also shedding frequently, there may be other problems. More history would also help. If there have only been 2 sheds close together, this may have been caused by retained shed. If he is repeatedly shedding at very short intervals, something more is wrong. As a rough guide, he needs a warm area around 32-34 degrees surface temperature and a cooler side in the mid 20s. He should have access to fresh water, a nice hide box or two and room to crawl around. If the environment isn't right, it tends to cause a lot of problems. Photos and details are always a big help for advice.

thank you i have only noticed the puffing over the past two days i thought he was angry lol but was a little concernered as i have never seen him do it he doesent shed evry two weeks anymore about once a month to two months eats once a week on fuzzy rats i can not put pictures up as my computer will not load them he is about 2 1/2 foot in length and his enclosure has 2 hides one on the hot side and one on the cool side plus trees logs and a vine the temprature in is tank is28 on the cool side and 31 on the warm side?? thank you for your advice p.s would it be possible if he choked on something???????

Snakes dont tend to choke, they are able to stretch themselves to take on pretty big prey so something being caught is unlikely. He may have gotten scratched swallowing something, but more likely he has a respiratory infection.
This is something that should be checked out by your herp vet in either case.

I'm going to agree with pythonmum and say Respiratory Infection.

Other signs of RI to look out for:
- If you can, try and get a look inside his mouth. If it's got mucus in there, you have an issue.
- If you put your ear close to him and listen for a few minutes you might be able to hear a small 'clicking noise'.
- You might notice that he will yawn more often than usual.
- You might notice he is rubbing his fact on objects, or on the sides of his enclosure, and if it is glass or clear plastic you might notice mucus remnants where he has previous rubbed his face.
- You might notice him to choose to stay down the cool end more often (problems with thermoregulation).
- Throat swelling.
- Bubble blowing.

If you said yes to any of the above (including throat swelling, as that is not normal) please take him to a vet and let them know of your concerns. A respiratory infection can quickly and easily lead to death in snakes.

Ill have to go with what others have suggested only because the exact same happened to my Diamond last week but also made a strange noise like a trumpet,took him to the vet and had a respiratory infection. Bump up the heat and take out any hides so he can be in the hot spot most of the time, pythons tend to sit in the cold end when sick but you need them on the heat so they can fight off the infection

thank you i have only noticed the puffing over the past two days i thought he was angry lol but was a little concernered as i have never seen him do it he doesent shed evry two weeks anymore about once a month to two months eats once a week on fuzzy rats i can not put pictures up as my computer will not load them he is about 2 1/2 foot in length and his enclosure has 2 hides one on the hot side and one on the cool side plus trees logs and a vine the temprature in is tank is28 on the cool side and 31 on the warm side?? thank you for your advice p.s would it be possible if he choked on something???????
Thanks for the extra info. The shedding frequency is correct for a growing youngster. The food size sounds good, as does the general setup.

Check for the signs mentioned by chantelle. By the time a snake shows signs of a respiratory infection, they generally need veterinary help. Sometimes they will go a bit funny before a shed. I have a woma which makes a clicking sound while breathing right before shedding. Drives me crazy with worry! If a shed is imminent, you can hold off for a week unless there is bubbling, wheezing or mucous (sure signs of infection). It would not hurt to raise the temp a couple of degrees in the meantime.

You should also ask around and find out if there is a good herp vet in your area. You may need to see one urgently, so it is best to know who to call just in case.

My spotted python does the same thing, he has a respiratory infection that were in the middle of treating and he has started doig it less, you should definitely take him to the vet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back