spotty losing weight during brumation

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

3kidsandasnake

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi all, wanting some advice on Brumation, this is the first year i have had this and not sure what to do!!:)
She is a spotted python, one and a half years old, and decided in mid May to stop eating and Brumate herself. So, i have taken her night time heat away, she is in 5-9 degree nights and her day temps with a small heat mat is 20 to 24 degrees, depending on our weather. She weighed 158 grams on May 9th, her last feed was 1st may ( she had pooed prior to weighing). It is now 2 months since i weighed her and she weighs only 146 grams ( i know i should have weighed her prior to this but she doesn't appear to have lost weight and is still healthy and happy). My question is, Is that a lot of weight to have lost? How much should they lose of the whole winter? If it is too much weight loss, should i pull her out of brumation, not sure if she will, considering she put herself in that mode?

Thanks all for any useful comments you may have, and please, i am new to the reptile world, so please try to keep the comments a little nice, pretty please:)

Cheers Amanda

The temps you are keeping it at is asking for trouble.Offer 32 for day temps.

if she looks healthy then its fine.. if shes brumating theres almost no point offering a feed as they refuse it.. dont know how much they lose the whole winter, it would vary on animals

if she looks healthy then its fine.. if shes brumating theres almost no point offering a feed as they refuse it.. dont know how much they lose the whole winter, it would vary on animals

Thanks, makes me feel a bit better, and ur right about the food, she refuses, almost runs from it!!! Thanks again

You should really be leaving the snake alone during the brumation process - pulling it out to weigh, inspect, etc is very disruptive the to the brumation process, and the stress will be one of the likely triggers for a respiratory infection. Weighing to check weight loss will serve no purpose anyway, the snake won't feed at this time of the year, pretty much regardless of what you do.

It will start to move when it's good and ready.

Jamie.

Thanks Jamie, have made a few changes for her, will be leaving her alone now too, how boring!!
Cheers
Amanda

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back