Stimson health

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tristan

Reaction score
Hi all I know their have been a few posts like this one already, people checking on the health and feeding etc, I have read those posts and taken in the information and I just have a few more questions and some specific to my snake.

My snake is 4-5 months old, and has not eaten for the last 4 weeks; he will smell the food then leave it.
When he was eating it was taken no problems and his last few feeds were like a largish pinkie + half a pinkie (one broke when frozen)

His enclosure is 800x450x380 I have put vines in to make use of the height (he does climb) he has a decent water bowl, and hiding places.
The temps are 20ish cool and 27-30 hot at night its cooler dropping to 18ish cool and 23 warm. With an incandescent globe on a thermostat.

Recently he started to show some white marks on his scales first on his head for about 4-5 days and progressively more on his body pics following.

during the day he sleeps in his hide rock, and during the night we have seen him climbing the vines and getting around the enclosure I was worried the enclosure might be too big for his age/size but after reading active debates on this topic and from his active moving around seems to indicate its not an issue, but the lack off eating may indicate other wise?

Ok questions

1. Is the lack of eating most likely due to the cooler weather? From what I have read I believe this to be the most likely cause?

2. Does he look healthy for his size/age?

3. Do the white marks look like shedding or do they look like some other issue? If so who knows a good reptile vet in the Perth area (I live north Joondalup way)

4. For a juvie at 4-5 months how long is acceptable to not eat?

I have tried to include as much info as I can think of if I have missed any imp sure you will ask
icon_wink.gif

Ps I don’t know the sex but used the reference him: P

Attachments

• PICT0197 (Custom).jpg
    PICT0197 (Custom).jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 60
  • PICT0201 (Custom).jpg
    PICT0201 (Custom).jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 58
  • PICT0202 (Custom).jpg
    PICT0202 (Custom).jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 62
  • PICT0203 (Custom).jpg
    PICT0203 (Custom).jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 61
  • PICT0206 (Custom).jpg
    PICT0206 (Custom).jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 64
maybe put him in a smaller enclosure for now. as he is still only a hatchy, maybe put him in a clicker clacker. also, iv heard people say that having a temp around 35 in the basking spot will make him eat.

Smaller enclosure to start of with, click clack. Have hot end temps at about constant 30-33. For his age he is looking ok , but im not sure about the white specks? i cant really make out any in the photo.

Mate pump the temps up hes a 5 month old stimpson, get him in a click clack give him a week to settle and try feeding again hot end 35 degrees basking spot best idea for click clack would be a thermo controlled heat mat covering 1/3 of the tub hide at each end water at cool end and some bird perches thruough the tub for abit of climbing for him he will feed

Small 10L starmaid tub. Do 12 holes on the long side every inch. Get some 32cm (75watt) heat tape from the herp shop and a thermostate if you dont have one yet. Use a chinese food container as a water bowl and some newspaper or breeders choice. Cut out a piece of cardboard as a hide on the hot end. Get a temp gun and cover him up at night, uncover during the day. Give him a week to settle in then try to feed. Try scenting with rubbing a little garden skink on the mouse. If he doesnt take it just try 5-7 days later. I feed my spotted every 5 days. Dont worry it took my spotteds took 8months to start feeding ( they fed on my birthday woo) anyways give this a go and see if it works. Hope it goes well and works keep us updated with this lil guy!!
Jordy.

O and i forgot to say have a 33 degrees for the hot end makes them feed really well at that temp. Room temp at the cool end. The newspaper or breeders choice as substrate. And when he is shedding put a little milk carton lid with water on the heat tape to give it a bit of humidity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back