Stimsons eating a lot!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

izzys1

Not so new Member
Reaction score
So first of all I will apologize to all those who don't like attaching human emotions to animals, I am going to do it because it's easier for me! :)
My Stimmi is 2 in June. I dont have a weight for her as I cant for the life of me find my scales! She is approx 65cm long at about 8cm round at her biggest.
The thing is she is hungry all the time! She usually lasts the week but the intervals have been getting smaller, she seems to become very active and cranky when she is hungry. (well cranky for her, lots of quick moves and sometimes a strike but never a bite)
When i got her in Feb she was having 1fuzzy mouse/week. I moved on to 2, then up to weaner mice 1/week then when she still seemed hungry up to 1x hopper mice.
She usually feeds mid week but has been out of her hide and very active for 2 days now so I offered her a weaner tonight and she slammed it!

My question is.
Is this too much?
Should I give 2mice/feed?
Should I just make her wait?
Is it ok to demand feed? just feed her whenever she wants it?

Thanks for your help.
Leah

stimsons are greedy but how do you know he is 'hungry', you can't come to the assumption that he is hungry because he strikes and he is moving more. he might be just hunting which is normal and he might just be a little cage defensive. easy way to tell you what he should be eating is the rule of thumb;
feed hatchling-juvinile snakes 10%-20% of his weight every 7-10 days

Thanks bohdi13, Your right its a guess that she is hungry due to changes in her behaviour. Once i find my scales I will make sure we are on the right track.

It is getting cooler, they know that they need to bulk up for when they don't eat over winter. My girls are still eating, the males have stopped. I feed them once a week and just keep feeding an adult mouse until they do not want anymore at each feed at this time of year. They usually stop at 4 or 5.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back