Stimsons Python Juvenile not shedding or feeding

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

c.wulli

Not so new Member
Reaction score
So I have a Stimsons python, he is just over 6 months old.

he is living in a plastic encolsure 60cm x 20cm x 10 cm (LxWxH), the temperature is 32 degrees at day and 24 at night.

Ive had him for 4 months, for the first 3.5 months he was eating weekly without hesitation.

2 weeks ago he didnt eat, and he didnt eat today either, i thought he is shedding but he is showing none of the signs like pinky belly and hazy eyes etc. etc.

he is always in his hide, i never see him outside or basking under the heat lamp not even at night!

also, he hasent shed for over 2.5 months!

Should I be worried?

Thanks guys for your help

Anyone know what could be going wrong?

thanks guys!

Do some research into pythons brumation. Though could just be in slough.

So I have a Stimsons python, he is just over 6 months old.

he is living in a plastic encolsure 60cm x 20cm x 10 cm (LxWxH), the temperature is 32 degrees at day and 24 at night.

Ive had him for 4 months, for the first 3.5 months he was eating weekly without hesitation.

2 weeks ago he didnt eat, and he didnt eat today either, i thought he is shedding but he is showing none of the signs like pinky belly and hazy eyes etc. etc.

he is always in his hide, i never see him outside or basking under the heat lamp not even at night!

also, he hasent shed for over 2.5 months!

Should I be worried?

Thanks guys for your help
This is a Hatchie Stimi and in its first yr its advisable to have a hot spot off 33 deg eg mat/tile etc....allowing the temp to drop at night will most def put a Stimi off its food.
Pete

This is a Hatchie Stimi and in its first yr its advisable to have a hot spot off 33 deg eg mat/tile etc....allowing the temp to drop at night will most def put a Stimi off its food.
Pete

Thanks for the info,

just to clarify, you reccomend keeping it at a constant temperature 24/7?

also, as you seem experienced with Stimies, could the fact that he isnt eating be down to a self forced brumation? Do these snake do that? And what do you think about the fact that he isnt feeding (tried to feed him again today, no intrest, 4 weeks now) or shedding (last shed was Feb 11 2013)... Should I be worried?

Last edited:
They like it constantly warm at one end.. and a little cooler at the other end.. but consistently. At his age he shouldn't be brumating - just adjust your temps and see how he goes. Don't worry too much... they can manage without food for quite a long time.

Thanks for the info,

just to clarify, you reccomend keeping it at a constant temperature 24/7?

also, as you seem experienced with Stimies, could the fact that he isnt eating be down to a self forced brumation? Do these snake do that? And what do you think about the fact that he isnt feeding (tried to feed him again today, no intrest, 4 weeks now) or shedding (last shed was Feb 11 2013)... Should I be worried?
Stimis can be a pain....unless u got a fully controlled replile room then most adults know exactly the time of yr.....yours is young and the first yr they normally under good conditions will feed strong...not so good second yr and so on into maturity....when i say heat....a mat or chord under tile is best IMO and being so young i would keep that at 32/33 deg 24/7....then try to keep ambient temps for rest of enclosure in the mid 20's..........Heres a little tip just incase its getting cold where u r.....your snake is still small enough to be kept in a 10LT simesta tub...so place a small 7W mat with thermostate directly on mat set at 32 deg in your larger plastic tub then place the 10Lt with the snake in on the mat with a 1/3 of the tub ..........once spring comes then u can move it out and start the cycle again..........my adult male stimi only eats 3 months a yr but puts heaps of weight on in this time then soon after christmas he goes off again....used to it now lol

2 many people put there new additions in large enclosure to soon..........my hatchies dont get moved into large enclosures till 18 months old ...i just slowly increase the size of the click clacks............hope this helps
Pete

Okay thanks heaps to both of you for the information and tips! Very helpful!

i have one more question, i currantly have him in a plastic tub 50cm x 20cm x 10cm (with lid ontop) within my larger enclosure that i will use later on in his life... But im using a heat lamp in the bigger cage to heat him from above. Is that a bad idea at this age?

Thanks again to both of you! :lol:

Heat mat under one end off tub as I've stated

Okay cheers mate, another question, if I have a little hide for him, where should the hide sit within the temp gradient? Ontop of the heat mat or hat on half of or totally on the cool side? Thanks again! :lol:

Okay cheers mate, another question, if I have a little hide for him, where should the hide sit within the temp gradient? Ontop of the heat mat or hat on half of or totally on the cool side? Thanks again! :lol:
One at each end is the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back