Storr's Monitor Questions

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HerpNthusiast

Reaction score
Hi could anyone give me some info on these goannas.
1. Do they require any UV as some people say it is not a must have?
2. How often do you feed them when they are young with what?
3. Could you house him in a 60cm Tank (the one I've seen is 8cm long?)

Thanks

Also could you use a heat mat as a heat source.

Last edited:
1) They do not require any UVB lighting, but it doesn't hurt if supplied.
2) Feed them small crickets or roaches> As a juvenile daily feeds are recommended , however you could feed every 2 to 3 days, but with much slower growth rate. Dust insects with calcium powder at least once a week
3) At that size a 60cm tank would be big enough, however monitors do not thrive on underfloor heating. They much prefer heating from a basking lamp. You will probably need a bigger tank as it grows

Hope this helps

Bigguy has answered the questions. To expand on the heat mat question though, short answer no. Goannas need a hot basking spot beyond what a heat map can safely reach. For goannas I use 35-50W GU10 halogen globes to generate a basking spot temperature of ~55°C.

They require an outrageous amount of heat which can only be supplied from a bulb.As robo said halogen are excellent in reaching this temp. They grow about a foot long from what I remember so but I have never kept a monitor before so thats all I can give. Excellent responses above.

Ok thanks Guys

Hey if you fed them every third day how long will they take to grow.

Sorry wrong length it's 25cm so could I still keep it in a 2ft enclosure or should I get a bigger one.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
With young monitors I feed them as much as they want, you can't over feed them. Other than slowing it down, I don't know how the growth rate would be affected or what other consequences there would be.
In my opinion, 2ft would be much too small. Monitors will use all the space you give them and the more space they have the more entertaining they are. I'd want something around 4ft.
Don't rush into getting a monitor. While they are robust, there are a few critical husbandry requirements that you need to get right. Storrs are reasonably easy to source, so don't worry too much about that.

Ok well Mum said no anyway she wants me to concentrate around the knob-tail gecko area anyway thank's guys for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back