Strange Shedding

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GSMenardi

Reaction score
Hello, I have a Murray Darling Python, who's not only shedding strangely but the skin underneath isn't the way it usually is after she sheds.

A bit of backround. I've had her 9 months and she's always shed normally. She's about a year and half old. About a couple of months ago we discovered that she has oseomyetitis approximately half way down her body in a small area. She's been on antibiotics once every day and antiinflammitary every second day since we found and has improved hugely.

She shed her skin a couple of weeks ago, and the old skin had very dark coloured scales all over (unusual for her, usually the dark scales are the dirty ones underneath), but she could get her skin off on her own and I held onto a piece of it as she slid herself out of it (she couldn't manage to do it herself and seemed grateful for the help).

So she shed a couple of weeks ago, and then immediately her skin dulled and became loose and dry again, preparing for another shed. The last couple of days when I've got her out she's left little scales on my hands, just from sliding around on me. I figured that meant she's ready to shed, and today I pulled off a hunk of the old skin (her new skin is so beautiful underneath!) and she seemed fine with that. But the new skin underneath is cold and sticky.. Which has never happened before.

She's back in her house now, down the warm end. I thought perhaps the new cold sticky skin might just need to warm up and dry out or something, but it hasn't changed in the last hour, and normally if she goes down the warm end she gets nice and toasty warm (not too hot though).

Her house is an aquarium with folded up towels covering the base. She had bark until yesterday when I cleaned it all out and replaced it with towels (easier to keep clean, and I'd imagine more for comfy for her). She has some rocks down the cool end and a bowl of water rouhgly in the middle.

I noticed after I pulled the old skin her underside scales went pinkish, I'm pretty confident that it's not scale rot, for starters she hates water and I keep her house pretty clean.

Yesterday I noticed a few little red dots underneath the scales on the bottom of her head and olive oiled her up just in case they were mites and washed her off after a coule of hours (wasn't mites, just a strange build up of.. something under a scale here and there.

She comes out a couple of times a day, to take her medicine and just be with the family in general.

Also she's been having epsom salt baths most nights, I just dip her in for a few seconds and put her to bed to warm up.

I think the immediate shed is possibly her way of detoxing from being unwell and taking medication.

What concerns me a little is that despite the new skin looking healthy, it's cold and sticky.

Opinions? Similar experiences?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back