strange things to feed a snake

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

alex92

Not so new Member
Reaction score
this is something really strange i heard, the lady i bought my snake tank from was trying to tell me i should try giving my babies berries and egg, common sense tells me it's nonsense though when they're big enough i have heard of snakes that will eat eggs whole although she was saying to crack it into a bowl and the snakes lick it up. not a part of me really believes her but it seems kinda funny and interesting. has anybody else ever heard of this, know anything supporting or have similar stories on weird people giving advice like this? for a lizard the berries would make sense but she was talking about a python in this case haha

tame king cobras love eggs and milk in a saucer
but doubt if they like berries

maybe blood plums??

Old wives tail tells if you want to attract snakes, leave rotten milk out as they are attracted to it.. That mainly applied to poisonus snakes..

There is a snake that has internal vertebrae adaptation to crush the egg and release the contents for digestion. Can't remember what its called though...

There is a snake that has internal vertebrae adaptation to crush the egg and release the contents for digestion. Can't remember what its called though...

Dasypeltis scabra.- The Common Egg eater
My uncle keeps them in South Africa and he reckons they are something special to watch

Last edited:
I know monitors and tegu's (most big lizards) like eggs, most are feed slugs from other species in their collection. Quails eggs are also great for smaller monitors.

Not sure about eggs for snakes though, i would just stick to rodents or relevant whole foods.

Rick

Kingsnakes will eat anything and everything, including eggs. Rodents, birds, amphibians and other snakes. They are pretty much immune to venom as well and will eat rattlesnakes.

I know many breeders who have lost their males after "the lock" because the female eats them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Kingsnakes will eat anything and everything, including eggs. Rodents, birds, amphibians and other snakes. They are pretty much immune to venom as well and will eat rattlesnakes.

I know many breeders who have lost their males after "the lock" because the female eats them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

From what I have read they are more resistant then full blown immune. Among the others already stated Gila monsters will also eat eggs.

From what I have read they are more resistant then full blown immune.

They are immune to their region, but not necessarily immune to different localities. Like if Kings and Rattlesnakes are in the same region, Kings are immune. It has something to do with proteins in their system.

It has a lot to do with natural selection. Those individuals who take on a rattlesnake for a meal are bound to be bitten sooner or later. If they possess the appropriate immunoglobulin (defensive protein) required for neutralising the venom, then they will survive and have the opportunity to pass on the gene for this particular protein to their offspring. Those individuals that lack the required defensive protein will succumb to the venom and be eliminated from the population.

Blue

That's what I figured. What I didn't know was it is due to specific protein's in there system. Looks likw I have some research to do.

I fed an infertile woma egg to a stimsoni a few years back. Had some photos on here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back