Stressed out Diamond Python?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SusieQ

Reaction score
We're a little concerned with our 3 and 1/2 year old male Diamond, Betty. It's been a month now since he had his last feed, an adult rat which he absolutely devoured. We've never had problems with him feeding and shedding, so this has been a bit of a surprise. He has gotten quite big, the girl at the pet shop said months ago that they can eat up to three times their girth, so we had been feeding him the large adult rats, every ten days. So maybe we have over fed him?? Also, his cage may be too small for him, and also his hide??? It's at the end of May, so it' has gotten quite cool. I've had the heat coil on for him the last few weeks, all day every day. He seems to be sitting on it a lot, and he's also quite active, more so than normal. We've tried feeding him regularly, every few nights, especially when he's out and about but he has no interest. We even left it at the bottom of his cage but it was still there in the morning. He looks healthy though, nice bright coloured skin and no weird marks or anything. I had tried handling him more, but maybe this has stressed him more too? Any info would be greatly appreciated- am I on the right track about the above???? Thanks heaps

There's no need to stress out. It's normal for Diamonds to lose interest in food at this time of year when it's getting cool approaching winter. You can stop offering him food altogether now for a few months. Being male and nearing sexual maturity he's probably becoming interested in looking for a mate, hence the increased activity.
I suggest that you stop or at least reduce handling until next Spring or even Summer, as it will probably just annoy him. I recommend that you let him be and reduce the heating duration and temps a bit over winter.

He sounds well fed....Which means that if he is slowing down for winter it is unlikely to do him any harm at all.

As Bushman indicated it is not uncommon for them to do this at this time of year....I have a young one that has become a sporadic feeder in the last 3 weeks or so - even deciding that he now wants very small food items and not his usual larger size. He is maintaining weight and has good condition so is not concerning me at all - it is just something they do sometimes. They can go months without food, especially in the cooler time of year. Mine has probably halved his usual food intake by both reducing frequency at which he actually will eat, and by only accepting small food items.

If everything else is normal and he appears healthy I would not be too concerned....Just keep an eye on him.

Mature males routinely stop feeding for around 6 months of the year.

Jamie

Mature males routinely stop feeding for around 6 months of the year.

Jamie

Jamie,

Out of my own interest....I take it that when mature males do this it usually coincides with the cooler months of the year? Is this more prevalent in Diamonds or across the board with Morelia in general?

ive got a coastal (4 years old) and a diamond (5 years old) both males. my coastal will eat during winter if i feed him but my diamond won't eat until around october. so its completely normal. also my diamond does show increased activity during the cooler months like you said yours is doing and he'll just roam around the cage all day until he starts feeding again in a few months time.

My diamonds don't eat from April to September. Nothing to stress about. If they area hatchling the get fed all winter and also have heat for their 1st winter but after that they get a few hours heat each day and that's it. Diamonds can handle this and it seems to be very good for their health.

If you do feed in winter they need heat to help digest though. I see it as a period where you aren't cleaning up poo for 6 months :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks heaps for the info guys! Much more reassured but will still keep an eye on him. BTW- he loves his name, thanks!!!! lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back