substrate for beardies

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hornet

Almost Legendary
Reaction score
i am gettin eastern beardies soon, what substrate should i use for them?
John

Nah, use breeders choice, its easy to get rid of and they like to dig around in it.

My beardie makes a nice little sleeping nest with it under his log.

And if you have a decent feeding dish, you wont have to worry about them eating it accidently.

LOl, you'll get 50 diff answers. Mine~ for little ones, no substrate clean reg. Big ones, Anything not too messy or easy to swallow during hunting. I use Euclyptus mulch, never had a problem with it and it looks great! :)

from my experience.. DONT USE BARK, not that it will harm the beardies, its just a real pain to clean the enclosure cause it has so much dust in it. i want to change my substrate soon but i know it will be a realy big job. i havent desided what i will use next, hopefully i will get some ideas from this thread. i was thinking sand?

Sand works well and looks great.

Just make sure no matter what substrate you do use, that you have a nice brimmed feeding dish, minimum of about 1-2 inches high around the brim to stop them eating substrate.

I read somewhere you have to be careful about the sand you use and thayt it doesn't contain silicia (glass?) and not to use the real beach sand, (I think they suggested childrens play sand - had been cleaned)

While we are talking about beardies and cage set up...

How do you choose between all the lights and tubes to provide the UVA and UVB?
Do beardies really need both? How many watts? Oh, the enclosure I'm prepairing is 90cm wide, 50cm deep and 55cm tall... The closest basking point it/will be about 20cm (8")

hey guys
my technique i use is too lay paper on the bottom then get breeders choice catty little as sherm suggested cause ill agree that it works well
cheers kahn

Sand is the best substrate for adult beardies IMO.
It looks great & aids in digging, breeding etc.
Treat the sand first by placing it in the oven to kill off any nasties.

For hatchlings I also prefer compacted sand or no substrate at all.
The reason for this is crickets & roaches will hide under the paper or BC substrate where they wont get eaten. And a hungry cricket will have no quarms in chewing on a sleeping hatchy at night. They might not have the jaws to cause serious damage, but even small bite marks can become infected. Not to mention the stress of the animal or the fact it could go off food, water etc

ScottBec said:
Do beardies really need both? How many watts? Oh, the enclosure I'm prepairing is 90cm wide, 50cm deep and 55cm tall... The closest basking point it/will be about 20cm (8")

thats also something i was wondering about, what are good lights and do they need both UVA and UVB?
John

ScottBec said:

thats also something i was wondering about, what are good lights and do they need both UVA and UVB?
John

I'm using fake grass in some of my beardy enclosures Jonathon.
I think it's great. Easy to spot clean and take out and give a scrub every few weeks. Only problem I've found is the beardies try to dig down around the edges and fray the black nylon strands that bind the grass together. They then often grab the strands when they grab a cricket or woody. Other than that it's all good.

im getting some new UV tubes soon, what do most people use? i was thinking about getting the ones from herpshop, the black lights or what ever they are cause iv heard of alot of people using them and they are only $14 each.

I've used plastic grass, and found it to be good, but now I use Marine Carpet. Doesn't fray and drop little bits like the fake grass does. I have two pieces cut to size for the Beardie cage, and I just take the dirty one out and put the new one in. Then I take the dirty one outside, hose it off, scrub it and hang it on the clothesline to dry.

:p

Hix

actually i really like that idea hix, but what about allowing the beardies to dig around?

Jason said:
actually i really like that idea hix, but what about allowing the beardies to dig around?

Well, until recently I only had a male and he never wanted to do anything. When I gave him BC he just sat on top of a rock. He generally only moves when he's chasing Woodies.

Of course, if the situation changes, I may have to use BC or sand.

:p

Hix

What about combining the ideas guys? use the marine carpet for the bottom and something like a kitty-litter tray full of sand to dig and 'play in???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back