substrates

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

neven

Reaction score
hey guys i was just wondering if it is ok to use chip bark as a substrate for beardies?
cos at the moment i use bc but it doesnt look the best and i found out chip bark is bloody cheap and sold at safeway...
ta nev

some chip are treated with posion to stop it from breaking down and if swollowed can harm your animals, also when your animal/s goes to the toilet it may rub its private parts and create an infection, specially males with their hemipenes (Hemipene pocket infection is what it is called), Sand is cheap!

wow yeh i think ill keep away from the chipbark... do u no where abouts i can buy sand from?
and how much is it?
ta nev

if ya use bark just make sure you get the untreated stuff it is written on the bag it comes in

sand and pebble supplies, gardening supplies, in brisbane you can buy it for $35 per clubic metre or you can shovel it into a bag for about $5.00 (weight 50-60kg) if your in Bris its Perrie sand and gravil at Keppera

be sure to ask what the sand has been washed with though.... some sands look good but that is because they have first been washed with sulphuric acid.... trace elements can be left behind causing harm to animals....

If it has been washed with acid you can soak it in water (changed every day) for a min of two weeks to get rid of it

i found some pinebark... it says it has microorganisms, bacteria, fungi and protozoa... and may contain mineral and fertiliser additives...
it doesnt say it is treated tho
is that ok to use?
nev

nev, if you leave it in the sun for a couple of days to dry out the moisture it should be ok (kills off all microorganisms, bacteria, fungi and protozoa) if it had been treated it would have to say it on the packaging

wont it dry out in the cage pretty quickly?
as it is at a constent 34 degrees...
nev

yeah it will but if you put it in straight away you wont be able to see in the enclosure because the glass will be that wet with moisture from evaporation, the humidity goes up to about 98%

yeah, I'm using Euchi mulch for my snake and bluies, so far it's great! I keep my beardie on red sand and he loves to dig in it etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back