Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kimbully

Reaction score
Can anyone give me some suggestions on what possible lizards can be kept in Vic, that do not require a license? Or any critter that would make a good pet in a large tank?

Thanks
Kim

for a start dont use a fishtank for herps.

and for a second you can keep
marbled geckos (can and will climb glass)
blue toungs
cunninghams skink.

thats about it.

Can anyone give me some suggestions on what possible lizards can be kept in Vic, that do not require a license? Or any critter that would make a good pet in a large tank?

Thanks
Kim

Here is the list of reptiles that do not require a license in vic to keep but must be sourced through legal means.

Blotched Blue-tongued Lizard​
Tiliqua nigrolutea

Common Long-necked Tortoise​
Chelodina longicollis

Cunningham's Skink​
Egernia cunninghami

Eastern Blue-tongued Lizard​
Tiliqua scincoides

Marbled Gecko​
Christinus marmoratus

Murray Turtle​
Emydura macquarii

White's Skink Egernia whitii

I have a license! :)
We want to have some pets at work. Marbled Gecko is probably the winner at the moment but I thought I'd check on here any other ideas people may have?
And we will definitely be sourcing them legally!
We have a large tank (maybe 1.5-2m x 1m) with sliding doors at the front for access and a little ventilation thing at the top. Would be escape proof for anything except maybe young insects.

Kim

I take it that you mean "non tiliqua"?

From a Tiliqua point of view Blotched blueys are the best alround and less susceptible to disease than Easterns - also better personalities and more fun to feed in my opinion.

As far as the other species are concerned Whites skinks are best and can be kept together in a relatively small enclosure and eat a similar diet to blueys (with more critters thrown in), cunninghams are escape artists and are a lot of work to keep sociable. Unfortunately whites are difficult to find a legal source - also the live babies are a bonus.

Marbled geckos are also escape artists and although easy to keep, the need to buy live food is a pain. They invariably end up escaping.

IMO White skinks are great if you can get hold of them. Very curious and tame down pretty fast.

cunninghams skinks are the best i have one and he thinks he a blue tongue he follows my blotched bluey around all day. and he eats anything.

If you want it for work i'd probably leave the gecko and go for a bluey or cunningham. You'll never see the gecko during the day you might as well set up the enclosure and pretend theres something in there, although they are more of a space saver then blueys or cunningham.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back