Suitable enclosure Question

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Viking

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I have a couple of quick questions and I thought it would be best to ask you guys, as the last thing I want to do is put a snake in an enclosure that it won't be happy in.

Anyway, basically I've been desperately searching for a reasonable size enclosure and everytime I find one at a decent price they seem to be interstate. :( I have managed to find one close to Sydney but not to sure if it will be suitable.

The description is
1300MM WIDE, 620MM HIGH, 420MM DEEP
Full glass tank inside a timber case and a screen lid for ventilation.

I would love to get two Diamonds of around 4 -6 foot. my major concern is the height of the tank only being 62cm, therefore limiting the snakes in climbing.

On the other side of things if any one has or knows of any nice large enclosures for sale within a couple of hours of Sydney if you could let me know I would really appreciate it.

Thanks for you help guys and I love the site.

i have a carpet python in my enclosure whcih is 1200x500x500 it was unhappy at first (because i had large open space)
then i threw a couple more hides in... a basking rock... a rock to climb on with a vine ran threw it and accross the cage so now it can climb around the vine and a fake plant... gunna throw another vine in soon and a branch :) but now it seems happy that theres not as much open space and it has stuff to climb on. now i can take it out without a worry, before it was always snapping at me

Size sounds alright for a python - are you getting 2 enclosures? An enclosure that has say pegboard on the back is probably preferable - wth a ventilated lid you can lose too much heat, depending on how you plan to set the heating up in the enclosure.

Most people use wood for python enclosures because they provide:

1) Better insulation (heat retention)
2) The option of front opening (easier cleaning etc.)
3) Better ventilation
4) Don't break as easy
5) Easier to work with when doing the wiring etc.
--
hs_CompleteChondro_thumb.jpg

January 2006 Herp Shop Special
Order your copy of the
** Hot off the press **
"The More Complete Chondro"

during January 2006 and receive a bonus free Oz Herp Thermometer and Oz Herp Hygrometer with each copy.
These neat little units normally sell for $6 each or $10 the pair.
hs_OzHerpTherHygro_thumb.jpg

MMM... I think it is a bit small too for the two of them.... Try building one if you are decent with your hands..:p I am building one now out of Melamine.. 6ft High...Divided into two enclosures... 1 is 1200w x 900h x 590d and the other 1200w x 600h x 590d. Obviously one on top of the other... I plan on housing Carpets in them... two in the top and use the bottom as isolation enclosure.... or when they mate in the future for babies..

Hey Viking
when and if you sort out your enclosure/s i have a proven pair of diamonds 4 sale at the moment and you can also view this years offspring from these guys that i'm selling at the moment aswell.
$1200 for the pair.
Congo

Thanks for all the replies guys.

I will take on board what you have all said and I think I might go back to my original plan and build an enclosure. I have just been getting impatient and was going to buy an enclosure because I want my pythons now. I've been flat out for the last month and now time, but I guess the trick is to make time.

Congo, thank you for the offer, at this stage I didn't have any plans on breeding as I have a hell of a lot to learn still.

Thanks again.

Hey Viking.

Welcome. I can totally understand you being impatient to get some snakes! I hope it happens soon for you. But I reckon it would be so satisfying to have them in an enclosure you've made yourself. I see some that people post to show off and they are fantastic!

Cheers, Lily

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back