Super awesome diy enclosure!!!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My advice , stay clear of perspex, it scratches too easily and bends too easily. The best solution is frameless glass, no timber frame, no sagging, super clear, doesnt scratch, animals wont escape. Are you sure your branch diameter is 30cm ???that's not a branch , that's a log...here is what the frameless glass looks like on an old tv cabinet....we currently use a better system for the handle and locks but you get the idea.

P1120502.jpg

P1120509.jpg

wow that looks amazing.. thanks for that.. the only issue with glass is the cost.. as my tv cabinet is around 1.8mX 1.2m... i might get perspex and when it looks a little iffy ill switch to glass when i have a bit more money..lol..
also how did you attach the hinges? glue?

The glass gets holes cut out for the hinges to bolt through. It has to be toughened glass though. If you use perspex on such a large area the snake will just push it and bend it open, it is very flexible. You either have to build a very rigid timber frame(very difficult and cumbersome) or you go very thick perspex which will cost you more than the glass. We looked at the whole perspex idea when we first started making enclosures and found that for anything other than really small enclosures, perspex was useless...mainly for its flexibility and secondly its tendancy to scratch. There's no point saying that it's ten times stronger than glass when a snake can just push on it and bend it to get out.

yea true.. thanks for the help :) i might see where i can get some cheaper glass panels then.. what thickness do you recommend? 4mm or 6mm?

My advice , stay clear of perspex, it scratches too easily and bends too easily. The best solution is frameless glass, no timber frame, no sagging, super clear, doesnt scratch, animals wont escape. Are you sure your branch diameter is 30cm ???that's not a branch , that's a log...here is what the frameless glass looks like on an old tv cabinet....we currently use a better system for the handle and locks but you get the idea.

P1120502.jpg

P1120509.jpg

Dang your enclosures are nice one day I'll conjer up enough cash and get you to custom pimp me up a frilly tank.

anys pics of the finshed product? i have the same unit and dont know how to go about it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back