Superworms - Pictures

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I had two beetles emerge yesterday. One of them whilst I was checking on them.
As soon as I put them into a another tub with carrot pieces they headed straight for the carrot it was amazing how fast they moved.
Cool to watch the colour changes they go through.
I should have put more aside to breed, the guide recommends 50.
I only had a container suitable for 12, of those 3 died, 7 changed, 2 emerged(so far) and 2 are still worms.

My mealworms have no problem turning into beetles once theyve escaped the pink tongues food dish and gone into their bark :rolleyes:
Had beetles all over the tank, I only put 4 mealworms in :?

I had a look at the Herp Shop 'how to' page. I've been doing things a bit differently, but that's always the way when it comes to methods different people use. I use a lazier approach... 'cause I'm lazy ;)

ianinoz: The pictures were taken using a crappy point and shoot I bought about 8-10 years ago.

I find with mealworms that by the time the babies become visible their parents have died. If I set up a new colony with freshly-moulted beetles, they run around in there happily, die of old age, and I have what looks like a tub filled with oats and dead beetles. After another month or two I'll have a look and there will be gazillions of little mealworms squirming around in there :) I'm not sure exactly how long it takes for the bettles to mature, lay eggs, eggs hatch, etc. It might be that I'm just not looking hard enough and they are just too tiny for me to notice around the time the beetles die. My first superworm beetles are now dead and I still can't see any larvae, but I'm guessing it's probably a similar timeframe, so I'm not worried. If it fails I'll splurge on another 250 worms for $20 :p They're surprisingly cheap even from the middle man.

Just in case of the unlikely event of anyone caring, the first baby superworms are now running around, it's a similar timeframe to mealworms. No, I haven't separated the beetles from the babies, perhaps some will get eaten, but I'm still as lazy as ever :D

Here's a pic of a few of mine.
IMG_8825.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back