Supplying crickets

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Anthony88

Reaction score
Glider has just had the first levis.levis hatch (congrats) and said that it will be fed 12 pinheads a day, I was just curious as to how you can supply that many crickets everyday and not blow your budget and keep the supply going.

12 pinheads a day........... that means like a $7 container of crickets a week................ doesnt seem like that much to me lol. but u could always start breeding them, or once hes big enough he can eat woodies which are cheaper and earier to look after haha

Oh wow really, is that the pisces containers of crickets?

Actually I'm intending to feed about 6 crickets a day (although that depends on how much the little fella wants to eat - he might not want that many, he might want more!) From the other young knobtails I've raised it seems to only take a week or two for the little ones to grow enough to increase the size of the crickets rather than just feed them more tiny ones. I expect that this one hatchling will probably go through maybe two full containers of pinhead crickets before he's ready to go up to small crickets, then parhaps a couple of months before he'll be able to handle sub-adult crickets like the rest of my lizards.

I currently buy my crickets in bulk and spend about $30 a fortnight for about 220 1/3grown crickets, which comfortably feeds 5 adult-sized knobtails and a central netted dragon and works out much cheaper than buying individual pices containers. Ordering the crickets from interstate is working well for me now I have the hang of it - like knowing how many crickets I'll need and how long they will last and making sure that fits in with the next delivery.

While my new hatchling is small I'll just buy containers of pinheads from my pet shop, but next year when I have lots of babies (well thats the plan) I'll bulk order the tiny crickets too.

Well since I buy a big load at a time I bought a large 5L plastic container to hold them in. I cut a big hole in the lid and taped on some metal flyscreen (**learn from my mistake- crickets will eat through plastic/fibreglass flyscreen. You do NOT want your 200 crickets sprinkled throughout your house when you get home from work**)

I keep the crickets in the container with some egg carton for them to hide in, and feed them carrot, mouse pellets and museli.
I find that the container gets very stinky even thought it's cleaned thoroughly with every new cricket batch, so I usually keep it outside in the shade, although I'm having some issues with ants at the moment.

When I want to get the crickets out for feeding, I put the whole container in the fridge for about 15mins and all the crickets slow right down so they're really easy to catch with some tweezers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back