Suspected Intestinal Blockage!!!!!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Already_Gone

Reaction score
Hi,
I suspect that one of my beardies has a possible intestinal blockage. Although I cant figure out how he would get one because I am always careful with their food. One of his hind legs appears limp when I hold him and just hangs down. He can move them but it appears that he is not using his hind legs as much as he should!! :( He was a bit off the food this morning but he ate his greens, fruit and a few crickets/woodies. He pooed this morning.

I will soak him for a while when I get home tonight in a warm bath tonight. Any other suggestions???
Ta
AG

I reckon a vet too,
if he pooed I doubt he is blocked but possible
it could be from lack of uv!
get him to a vet to make sure.

I know from experience that an ultrasound is the only way of ruling out impaction.

I gave him a soak tonight for about 30 mins. I have him on my desk at the moment. He appeared to be flinching which lasted on and off for about 5 mins. He shat everywhere. There was a paper pellet wrapped in a grape skin which appeared rather large. There was also a lot of liquid, enough to soak 3/4 of an A4 page.

If this does not fix the prob I can bet $50 bucks that its not an intestinal blockage!!!

I bought a new UVB today for him just to be sure. I read that they can get metabolic bone disorders from lack of UV... does anyone know anything about this because there is not much stuff in my books. Is it curable/treatable???

If he has shown no sign of improvement by mon I will take him to the vet.

I think I will need it. Reading up on Metabolic Bone Disease in reptiles at the moment. Seems I am noticing the early symptoms which are fixable. Have to up the calcium and natural sunlight will help. Hopefully him relieving himself on my desk has cured the prob but I am not betting on it.

Natural sunlight is a terrific help in these cases and it is needed throughout their lives. UV tubes etc are OK as supplement but they are no substitute for the real thing. Get yaself a herparium and give 'em regular natural sunlight, this, along with calcium and Vit supplements will keep ya little friends healthy :) Good luck to you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back